Director, Center for Student Involvement
University of Houston
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 26, 2014|
The University of Houston is a culturally diverse public urban institution seeking to become one of the nations top research universities. The University is located on 567 beautifully landscaped acres near downtown Houston. The University has 40,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The student population has more than 60% minority students (African American, Asian, Hispanic, and Native American) and 9.4% are international students representing more than 100 countries.
The Center for Student Involvement serves as a catalyst for student development by fostering a learning environment that empowers students to engage and participate in a diverse array of enriching opportunities in relations to major campus events and student-led programming initiatives; support, guidance and management of registered student organizations; and campus-wide leadership and civic engagement centered around synergistic partnerships within campus, local and global community. The Director of the Center for Student Involvement provides leadership, vision and strategic direction for the department. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of the Center for Student Involvement is a member of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services senior leadership team.
The Directors specific job duties include:
- Provides leadership, strategic vision, organization and administrative oversight of campus-wide programs and services partnering with departments and student organizations in the following areas: direction, advising and management for major campus events and student-led programming initiatives; support and guidance of an effective approach to Registered Student Organizations (RSO); and campus-wide programs and education in the leadership development and civic engagement opportunities.
- Directs the recruitment, selection, training and supervision of full-time, graduate and student leaders/staff; manage a comprehensive training/education program that embraces professional competencies for student affairs practitioners; supervises and builds competence of both direct and indirect reports through effective coaching, performance management, professional development planning and mentoring efforts.
- Ensure all CSI staff is trained on risk management and liability issues related to campus events and student organization advising.
- Enhance training and provide on-going support for student organization leaders and advisors; manage initiatives that support student leadership development, co-curricular collaborations, and volunteer opportunities; manage risk management and liability issues related to programs, events of service of the Center for Student Involvement and registered student organizations.
- Manages budgets for the Center for Student Involvement and the Fee-Funded Student Organizations (Activities Funding Board, Council of Ethnic Organizations, Frontier Fiesta Association, Homecoming Board, Student Program Board) that are advised by CSI of approximately $2.0M annually.
- Reviews and interprets UH policies and procedures relating to registered student organizations, event registration, and implements new practices as needed.
- Create and engage strategic partnerships (student organizations, campus departments, faculty, staff, students and alumni) that create a greater variety of student involvement initiatives that focus on the development of a vibrant campus life and positively impact student retention and graduation rates.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support for major campus events and traditions such as: Frontier Fiesta, Homecoming and evening/weekend programming.
- Analyzes trends within program areas, maintaining expert awareness of program information and change needs.
- Develops and implements a system of qualitative and quantitative indicators used to assess and evaluate program effectiveness.
- Prepares and monitors the annual department budget and fee-funded student organizations advised by the Center for Student Involvement; prepares proposals to obtain grants from governmental and private agencies.
- Directs daily operations and long-range strategic planning; designs and implements policies and procedures for the program.
- Directs the preparation of and reviews reports and records of activities to ensure progress is being accomplished toward specified program objectives; modifies or changes methodology as required to redirect activities and attains objectives.
- Serves as a liaison to other University departments and serves on university committees as assigned.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Requirements: Bachelors degree required, with a strong preference for a Masters degree in student development, counseling, or related discipline; requires a minimum of (5) five years of directly-related job experience. Previous experience as a Director of Student Involvement and/or significant supervisory experience at a large public institution is preferred. Occasional evening and weekend work is required; sometimes heavy during major events (Frontier Fiesta, Homecoming, Weeks of Welcome, etc.) Successful candidates will embrace a student-centered philosophy and the ability to work with a diverse student population.
Application: Complete a UH application on-line at https://jobs.uh.edu and select posting number S002660. Include a cover letter, resume and references when submitting the on-line application. Review of applications will begin on Friday, September 19, 2014.
The University of Houston strives to be an employer of choice by offering a full range of benefits to our full-time staff members. Tuition scholarships, a retirement plan, dental and full medical coverage, are only a few of the benefits offered to employees at the University of Houston. From our award winning faculty to our active student body, UH offers the most diverse research university in the country.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.uh.edu