Associate Dean - School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics & Engineering (NSME)
California State University, Bakersfield in California
|Date Posted||August 25, 2014|
SCHOOL OF NATURAL SCIENCES, MATHEMATICS & ENGINEERING
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, BAKERSFIELD
California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB) seeks an outstanding, energetic and ambitious academic leader with administrative experience to be the new Associate Dean for the growing School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics & Engineering (NSME).
About the University
CSUB is one of 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU), the largest and most diversified university system in the world. Located in the city of Bakersfield, CSUB is a public university founded in 1965. The university serves more than 9,000 students and counts over 40,000 alumni from its four schools: Arts and Humanities; Business and Public Administration; Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering; and Social Sciences and Education. For more information about CSUB, please refer to the webpage: http://www.csub.edu/
About the School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics & Engineering
The School of NSME is rapidly growing, with double the majors of a decade ago. Departments include Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Geological Sciences, Mathematics, Nursing, and Physics & Engineering Sciences. In the last three years, NSME has added programs in Biochemistry, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Engineering Sciences with emphases in Petroleum Engineering and Agricultural Engineering, two key areas of rapidly growing importance to local industry.
NSME faculty and students are research active with two NSF Career grants, a NSF CREST award, and over $7 million in annual external funding from a variety of sources including the Department of Education, NSF, USDA and the Department of Energy. They are also actively engaged with the local community, industry, and K-12. See the School's webpage for additional information: http://www.csub.edu/nsme/
The Associate Dean for the School of NSME reports to the Dean of NSME and assists the Dean in leading the departments and programs to carry out the School's mission and goals in alignment with CSUB's strategic plan.
Sample of Responsibilities (for complete list, see the link below)
* Facilitate student recruitment, orientation, advising,
retention, class scheduling, management of FTE targets, and budget
allocations in consultation with the Dean and Chairs;
* Develop and facilitate programs to enhance the research and scholarly activities of faculty and students;
* Assist the Dean in developing regional relationships with industry, community organizations, and other higher education institutions, in support of the educational and research goals of the School;
* Manage the NSME Student Success Center and tutoring centers;
* Oversee the curriculum, including the quarter-to-semester conversion underway; and other curricular initiatives targeted at improving student learning and retention, articulation with community colleges, course and program proposal review;
* Coordinate NSME's accreditation and assessment activities, in particular the first ABET accreditation submission (2016);
The complete position announcement (including full responsibilities, minimum and preferred qualifications and other information) is available through the following link: http://www.storbeckpimentel.com/pd/CSUB/ADNSME.pdf
Applications and Nominations
Applications (cover letter/current CV/names and contact information of three professional references) and nominations are to be submitted to the following search consultants:
Sharon Tanabe, Partner or
Emy Peña, Principal Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
1111 Corporate Center Drive, #106
Monterey Park, CA 91754
CODE: CSUB AD NSME
For a confidential inquiry or nomination contact either Ms. Tanabe or Ms. Peña at 323-260-5040
While the position remains open until filled, for best consideration, application materials should be submitted by October 22, 2014.
Finalists for the position will be required to submit copy of degree/transcripts and complete a standard CSUB job application: http://www.csub.edu/bas/hr/_files/_Recruit_Files/CSUB%20Employment%20Application.pdf. Any offer extended will be contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a full background check through our search firm.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.