Library Service Center Director
Georgia Institute of Technology in Georgia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 25, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Georgia Tech Library invites applications for an energetic, flexible, and innovative professional to join a collaborative partnership between The Georgia Institute of Technology Library and Emory University Libraries. The Georgia Institute of Technology is situated on an attractive 400-acre campus in the heart of Atlanta. The Institute is a major public research university with premier programs in science, engineering, management, and other disciplines. Emory University is a private research university located in Atlantas historic Druid Hills suburb. Emory University is recognized for its outstanding liberal arts colleges, graduate and professional schools, and one of the Southeast's leading health care systems.
The Georgia Institute of Technology Library and Emory University Libraries are partnering to jointly construct and operate a high-density, state-of-the-art, environmentally controlled facility for the long term housing of paper and microform materials. This facility, located at the Briarcliff Property on Emory Universitys Atlanta campus, is referred to as the Library Service Center (LSC). The overall goal of the partnership between Georgia Tech and Emory University is to create a shared library collection and services for faculty and students in both institutions.
The LSC will receive, store, retrieve, and scan LSC materials; distribute materials both electronically and physically; provide a reading room for research and reading.
The overall operations of the LSC will be directed by the Director. The Director will establish and monitor operational strategies, goals, and priorities in alignment with both Georgia Tech and Emory University.
The LSC is a multi-phase project with the initial building phase delivered in late 2015 and the library collections ingestion process beginning shortly thereafter.
The collaboration between the Georgia Tech Library and Emory University Libraries as it applies to the LSC is governed by the EmTech Board. The LSC is administered by the LSC Management Advisory Group (LSC Management Group) as appointed by EmTech. The Director will manage the LSC and work collaboratively with the LSC Management Group as well as the EmTech Board.
A warehouse manager will report to the Director of the LSC. The LSC facility also will have staff for ingest, retrieval, and delivery as well as interlibrary loan and document delivery activities. Additionally, the LSC will have staff for temporary projects or library activities connected to either Georgia Tech or Emory.
For operational purposes, LSC staff will be employees of Georgia Tech, which is part of the University System of Georgia (USG). Compensation, benefits, and other human resources policies and procedures are governed by the Board of Regents of the USG.
If the Director has a graduate degree in an appropriate field, he/she will be appointed as a member of the Instructional Faculty of the Georgia Tech Library and subject to the review and promotion process for all Georgia Tech librarians and archivists. As a member of the Georgia Tech library faculty, the incumbent will have an effort distribution of 80% excellence in assigned duties, 10% scholarship, and 10% professional service.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the LSC according to the strategic direction set by EmTech and the LSC Management Group.
The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to library service, a thorough knowledge of professional library principles, methods, practices, and programs. The Director will be responsible for overall management of the facility including but not limited to budget development and financial management, overseeing facility operations, managing and scheduling the staff, developing and administering policies and procedures. The Director functions with a high degree of independence and performs activities without close direction.
The Director performs some or all of the following:
- Participate with EmTech/LSC Management Group in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the facility
- Identify, assess, and inform the EmTech/LSC Management Group of internal and external issues that affect the facility
- Act as a professional advisor to EmTech/LSC Management Group on all aspects of the facility's activities
- Act as a spokesperson for the facility
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of EmTech/LSC Management Group as appropriate and jointly with EmTech/LSC Management Group when appropriate
- Act as hands-on leader while working with staff and others
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the facility
- Ensure that the operation of the facility meets the expectations of its partners
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the facility
- Provide support to EmTech/LSC Management Group by preparing supporting materials, budgets, statistics
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation/assessment of the facility's services and operations
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the facility contribute to the facility's mission and reflect the priorities of EmTech/LSC Management Group
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the facility to maintain or improve quality
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for facility management and program delivery
- Develop job descriptions for staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Participate in recruiting, interviewing and selecting staff that have the technical and interpersonal skills to help further the facility's mission
- Ensure that all staff receive an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Oversee performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures
Financial planning and management
- Prepare a comprehensive budget for EmTech/LSC Management Group approval
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by EmTech/LSC Management Group
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the facility
- Provide EmTech/LSC Management Group with comprehensive, regular reports on expenditures of the organization
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the facility's property and finances
- Monitor compliance with insurance requirements for the facility, collections, and staff
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. - this means they are GC hold, citizen or have a work authorization card so no sponsorship will be necessary
- An ALA-accredited graduate degree or an accredited graduate degree in an appropriate discipline and five years of relevant work-related experience are required
- None required
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles is critical
- Knowledge of human resources management
- Knowledge of financial management, budgeting
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of facilities management
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Financial management
The Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the facility
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the facility
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. Adhere to a regular schedule of reports and other communications to both the staff and the EmTech/LSC Management Group
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the facility and to create new opportunities
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the facility
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the facility, Georgia Tech, and Emory University
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the facility forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problems
- Think Strategically: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and value of the facility, Georgia Tech, and Emory University
- Five or more years of progressive management experience in a library and/or library storage environment
- Management and oversight of permanent staff and temporary employees
- Knowledge of and experience within the library community in roles such as a collection development, technical services, public services, administrative roles
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a governing board
- Strong consulting, negotiation, problem resolution, mediation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated sound business judgment
- Familiarity with professional procurement processes, budgeting, billing and invoicing
- Proficiency with standard computer spreadsheet, word processing, database management and other office administration software
- Skill in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data and information
- A compelling leadership style that includes exceptional people management skills, program management, business and technology expertise
- Strong public presentation skills and public speaking for a wide variety of audiences
- Understanding of the requirements and workings of an offsite library storage facility
- Ability to work effectively under stressful situations involving tight deadlines as well as confrontation and conflict
- The Director usually works in an office environment, but also works with employees processing materials and must be able to lift and move up to 50 lbs. on occasion
- The facility storage is 50 degrees/35% RH. Materials are stored up to 36 feet. The Director must not be afraid of heights or an environment at temperatures listed above
- The Director works a standard work week, but additionally will occasionally work evenings, weekends
- The position entails moderate out-of-town travel
If interested in this position, please submit your curriculum vitae (CV) / resume and cover letter to the Georgia Institute of Technology Librarys Human Resources department by using the following link: http://goo.gl/u8eyVy
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed to be exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://goo.gl/u8eyVy