Senior Systems Administrator Division of IT
FlU -- Florida International University in Florida
|Date Posted||August 21, 2014|
Senior Systems Administrator – Division of IT
The Division of Information Technology at Florida International University is currently seeking a Senior Systems Administrator.
The Senior Systems Administrator:
• Manages and supports server operating systems and applications. This would include, but is not limited to: installation and testing of patches, monitoring, and tuning.
• Manages, troubleshoots and provides provisioning of complex virtual server farms that are based on one or more hypervisors (VMWare and Hyper-V) and associated cloud management software (i.e. vCloud Suite, Systems Center, UCS Director).
• Troubleshoots and resolves complex system or applications issues (includes, but not limited to hardware, storage, operating systems, applications, databases, virtual environments, switches and network issues).
• Manages web servers, application servers, back-end database environments, file sharing services and other technologies as needed.
• Ensures proper server and data backups are completed.
• Utilizes tools, scripts or programming, automation of routine tasks are required to reduce manual workload, improve response time & to ensure system reliability.
• Creates and maintains documentation for all servers, applications, tools, scripts and procedures.
• Manages data and systems security/hardening based on Division of IT guidelines.
• Researches new technologies to be considered for implementation.
• Manages system and application environment design, which should include fault tolerance, fail-over and disaster recovery recommendations.
• Assists with the management of infrastructure such as, but not limited to, cabling, storage system, SAN switches, infiniband switches, network switches, server racks and rack power infrastructure as needed.
• Provide support for end user service requests as they relate to the applications and systems managed by the Operations department.
• Trains junior staff as needed.
• Assists with all daily operations of the department, including taking on the role of a Data Center Operator, Data Center Technician, or Data Center Engineer as needed.
Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Master's degree in an appropriate specialization; or a bachelor's degree in an appropriate specialization and two years of experience.
Must have Windows Server and Linux Administration skills. Knowledge of hypervisor setup and administration (i.e. Hyper-V, VMware or KVM) and management of Cloud Management Products (i.e. Systems Center, VCloud Director or UCS Director). Ability to manage SAN Storage systems, fiber channel switches, and write scripts for the purposes of automation.
Working hours schedule may vary in days and start/end times may occur to ensure proper shift coverage.
Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000
For further information or to apply please visit our website at jobsearch.fiu.edu and reference position number 44242000 or Job ID 507651:
FIU is an EE/EO/EA Employer & Institution