Assistant Director, Center for Student Involvement
University of Houston
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 21, 2014|
The University of Houston is a culturally diverse public urban institution seeking to become one of the nations top research universities. The University is located on 567 beautifully landscaped acres near downtown Houston. The University has over 39,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The student population has more than 60% minority students (African American, Asian, Hispanic, and Native American) and 9.4% are international students representing more than 100 countries.
The University of Houston values diversity and inclusion and believes they are essential to achieving excellence. The Center for Diversity and Inclusion, within the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services is committed to leading a campus culture that is welcoming, accepting, and respectful and one that promotes unity and opportunity for all. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director for the Center for Diversity and Inclusion is a member of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services senior leadership team. The Director provides leadership, strategic vision, organization and administrative oversight of campus-wide programs and services, partnering with departments and student organizations in the areas of diversity and inclusion educational programs, campus community events celebrating cultural diversity, social justice advocacy, student success support, and access to the rich cultural and artistic environment in Houston.
The Assistant Directors specific job duties include:
- Serves on the leadership team for the Center for Student Involvement; collaborating on long-term planning, assessment, budget management, staff training, and annual reports.
- Develops and implements an education/training curriculum for the stipend student leaders of the major student organizations advised by the Center for Student Involvement; provides leadership for the assessment of the stipend student leader experience, and creates curriculum-based annual retreat experiences, monthly training workshops, and end-of-year leadership transitions.
- Directly coordinate and advise two of the University of Houstons most important traditions: Homecoming and Frontier Fiesta. This highly visible role advises the Homecoming Board and the Frontier Fiesta Association, and serves as a liaison between the Center for Student Involvement and the steering committees, Alumni Relations, University of Houston alumni, and campus departments and colleges that participate and/or support these traditions. This position provides oversight for approximately $500,000 in student organization budgets, including preparation of the annual budget report and annual budget presentation.
- Supervises two staff members: an Activities Coordinator that advises the Student Program Board and the Council of Ethnic Organizations, and the Graduate Assistant for Campus Traditions; implements a professional development plan, conducts coaching, mentoring and annual evaluations, and provides support for their work as needed.
- Represent the department as a member of Division-wide committees, search committees, work teams and other auxiliary opportunities.
Requirements: Bachelors degree required, with a strong preference for a Masters degree in student development, counseling, or related discipline; requires a minimum of (3) three years of directly-related job experience. Work as a graduate assistant or instructional assistant can count towards the job experience. Successful candidates will embrace a student-centered philosophy and the ability to work with a diverse student population. Preferred candidates will have supervisory experience, significant experience with large-scale event management, and advising complex student organizations.
Application: Complete a UH application on-line at https://jobs.uh.edu and select posting number S002597. Include a cover letter, resume and references when submitting the on-line application. Review of applications will begin on Friday, September 5, 2014.
The University of Houston is an employer of choice, offering a full range of benefits to our full-time staff members. Tuition scholarships, a retirement plan, dental and full medical coverage, are only a few of the benefits offered to employees at the University of Houston. From our award winning faculty to our active student body, UH offers the most diverse research university in the country.