Executive Director, Executive Education
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA in Virginia
|Date Posted||August 20, 2014|
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business seeks nominations and applications for an experienced sales and marketing leader to fill the position of Executive Director, Executive Education.
Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of Executive Education, the Executive Director is responsible for managing and growing client relations for Darden’s Executive Education programs. This position has profit center responsibility in a complex academic context and is expected to be entrepreneurial in developing resources, identifying potential niches for future programs, pursuing opportunities, closing deals, and building partnerships with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. The Executive Director will lead the Darden Executive Education team in promoting Darden’s brand and reputation among key constituencies and in meeting revenue, growth, and profit targets. This leader will ensure operational excellence and accountability in managing a team of 10-15 people, implement a budget and work effectively with various administrative functions at Darden and the University of Virginia.
Successful candidates will have:
- 12+ years of experience in sales and marketing in selling high-end professional services.
- 5+ years of business unit P&L responsibility; specific previous revenue responsibility for $10-20 million in sales.
- 5+ years of management experience; preferred experience in managing business development roles
- Proven ability building long-term relationships and negotiating sales at the C-level.
- Ability to plan and develop successful sales campaigns by driving discipline and process.
- A proven track record of sales success in business development, client engagement, management and the ability to manage to deadlines and budgets.
- Ability to conceptualize the academic content in a business school and connect academic concepts with business opportunities for executive education.
- Experience in developing an account management plan, forecasting and managing client revenue and profitability, and negotiating pricing and contract terms.
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of management, faculty and business community: written, oral; individual, small groups and formal presentations.
- Research and market analysis skills across industries with the ability to identify attractive business development opportunities.
Experience in executive education and knowledge in at least one key sector (finance, aerospace/defense, energy, pharmaceuticals, professional services) is strongly preferred.
A Bachelor's degree is required. Master’s degree preferred, ideally in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, or other relevant field. Frequent travel (up to 50%) may be required. Client engagements may require involvement in weekend and evening activities.
The Darden School of Business is one of the world's leading business schools, offering MBA, Ph.D. and Executive Education programs. The unique Darden experience combines the case study method, the highest- ranked faculty and a tight-knit learning environment where students, faculty and staff work together in a collaborative environment. The Executive Education program, attended by approximately 3,500 executives, is consistently rated among the top providers globally, with particular strengths in course design, teaching/faculty, service/facilities and leadership curriculum. Charlottesville, Virginia is a charming college town with extraordinary cultural resources, and is regarded as one of the top places to live in the United States.
To express interest in this opportunity, please send your cover letter, resume and references to: apply@Darden.virginia.edu.
All candidate information will be held in strict confidence.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.PI82897945