Stanford University in California
|Date Posted||August 19, 2014|
Job Number: 63478
Department Manager - 63478
Department Manager, 1M2, Materials Science & Engineering
The Materials Science & Engineering (MSE) Department in the School of Engineering seeks a department manager with proven experience and strong leadership skills to serve as the department’s chief administration officer.
The department manager has responsibility for all administrative functions within MSE, including finance & budget, staffing, facilities, health and safety, faculty affairs, and student services.
The department manager works with a great deal of autonomy and is expected to independently and proactively find solutions to administrative issues, and collaborates extensively with colleagues in the School of Engineering and across the university, representing MSE’s administrative concerns. The department manager has the unique opportunity to work both as a leader of strategic initiatives and as an individual contributor. As such, the successful candidate will be someone who can balance both managing others and hands-on work.
Many of the MSE faculty are also part of the Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials (GLAM) and conduct a portion of their research through GLAM. The MSE department manager will work closely with GLAM administrators to ensure seamless support for the faculty.
The department manager reports directly to the MSE chair and on a dotted-line basis to the senior associate dean for administration in the school dean’s office.
Materials Science and Engineering’s website: http://mse.stanford.edu/
• Ensures department’s administrative processes and practices are efficient and operate in compliance with department, school, university, and research sponsor policies and guidelines.
• Designs, implements, and administers new and/or enhanced administrative policies & procedures.
• Provides guidance and advice concerning administrative matters to the MSE chair, management team, faculty, and staff.
• Ensures effective communications within the department.
• Oversee the industrial and alumni relations programs.
Finance & Budget
• Accounts for $12M in consolidated expenditures; designs, implements, and tests financial controls and stewards MSE’s funds.
• Manages the annual budget processing, including the allocation of funds within the department.
• Performs long-and short-range financial planning for the department.
• Recommends and develops strategies for cost control and reduction.
• Liaises with Engineering Research Administration (ERA).
• Supervises approximately four department staff.
• Performs personnel strategic planning and analysis; assesses department needs for administrative support.
• Trains, coaches, and develops department administrative staff. Monitors staff performance and takes corrective action as needed.
• Resolves/addresses workplace problems and concerns in consultation with SoE Human Resources.
• Manages staff salary program; coordinates and/or conducts staff performance evaluations; ensures equitable staff bonus and salary administration.
Facilities and Health & Safety
• Represents the MSE department in building meetings (MSE occupies space in a shared facility – Durand); partners with other building occupants to resolve building/facility issues.
• Reviews and analyzes requests for space; implements, and monitors space changes to existing facilities; coordinates staff and faculty moves to new or interim locations.
• Ensures that protocols are followed, specifically in labs, to help ensure the health and safety of MSE faculty, students, and visitors; reports hazardous conditions to the school’s health/safety team; reports and follows-up on accidents; partners with the school’s health/safety team to take action to prevent recurrences.
• Ensures that MSE establishes and maintains required health and safety records, chemical inventories, and hazardous material databases.
• Assists faculty affairs personnel and chair with faculty appointments, promotions, sabbaticals and leaves, especially as such actions impact budget. There are 15 faculty in MSE.
• Provides necessary plans and guidance as well as analyses, financial projections, and other information to support recruitment and retention of faculty.
• Manages faculty salary offset program within department.
• Manages faculty salary program; develops and prepares all supporting data for salary model.
• Organizes and manages faculty compliance issues and deliverables.
• Partners with the student services manager to support department in programmatic planning, budget, and staffing (e.g. resource availability, # of students to support, diversity, etc.).
• Helps interpret regulatory changes that may impact department educational programs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimal of five years of progressively responsible experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience. Preferably in a University setting.
• Experience supervising staff required.
• Demonstrated skills, experience and knowledge necessary to provide leadership in designing, implementing and maintaining effective and efficient administrative operations and practices.
• Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
• Comfort with advocating and instituting change.
• Demonstrated strengths in problem identification and problem-solving with experience making decisions and taking accountability for outcomes.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with a diverse population of faculty, students, and staff.
• Experience prioritizing in a multi-facetted environment preferred.
• Strong technical skills with extensive experience working in an environment with varied and complex administrative computing systems such as Oracle Financials, as well as substantial expertise in Excel, and Word.
• Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
• Ability to delegate and manage others while completing individual contributions.
Stanford University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws
Location: School of Engineering
Job Grade: 1M2
To apply, please visit: http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/job-search and search for job number 63478.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford University is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/508899