Executive Communications Specialist
San Jose State University in California
|Date Posted||August 18, 2014|
CAREER OPPORTUNITY with SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY
Executive Communications Specialist
Job ID: 23017
San José State University (SJSU) invites applications for Executive Communications Specialist. The successful applicant will support the strategic communication needs of executive leadership as part of institutional communications and outreach.
A member of the 23-campus California State University System, SJSU is the oldest state university in California. Its distinctive character has been forged by its long history, its location and its vision - a blend of the old and the new, the traditional and the innovative. Among its most prized traditions is an uncompromising commitment to provide for and support a faculty that is active in scholarship, research, technological innovation, community service and the arts.
SJSU grants bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 134 areas of study and now offers a joint Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree. Quality teaching and small classes are a priority, where tenured professors teach introductory as well as advanced courses. Among the top 200 universities in research and development expenditures (as surveyed by the National Science Foundation), SJSU offers rigorous course work and research opportunities to more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students, with more than 700 tenure/tenure track faculty and 1,300 staff.
As the sole public institution situated in Silicon Valley, the nation’s center for innovation, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of the region. The university is distinguished by its focus on cultivating talent (more than 7,000 graduates annually) for a globalized workforce. Historically, San José State is known for making a college education possible for many first-generation students. It’s not too bold a claim to say that the university serves as the launching pad for success. From the first graduates to today’s students, who come from diverse ethnicities, cultures and parts of the world, San José State helps transform lives.
About the Position
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Marketing & Communications, this position develops and executes communication plans and activities in primary collaboration with the Offices of the President and Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Researches, drafts and refines voice communications including prepared texts, informal remarks and talking points based on event and audience needs
• Researches, drafts, refines and ensures placement of other executive’s communications across appropriate internal message platforms
• Supports the creation of talking points and other content supporting interactions with news media and other influencers
• Under the direction of the AVP/Marketing & Communications and the Media Relations Director, helps prepare senior executives for interviews and other forms of news media interaction, such as editorial board visits
• Supports message platforms, such as digital newsletters, blogs, website and social media accounts
• Participates in other activities at the discretion of the AVP for Marketing and • Communications, in consultation with the offices of President and Provost.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, creative writing or mass communications
• Three years of full-time experience creating strategic messaging for institutional leaders, preferably in an academic setting, including speeches and other "voice" communications, as well as informational content for newsletters, web pages and other platforms.
• Expert writing and communications objectives and ability to translate them both orally and in written format for effective communications.
• Demonstrated competence as a voice and message strategist.
• Experience in media relations.
• Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
The skills and attributes of the ideal candidate include:
• Working knowledge of researching and identifying communication needs and target audiences; thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats; ability to effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals.
• Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver messages; ability to interview, research and write for web and print publication.
• Ability to present information that meets the requirements of the media and publications involved and that is designed for audiences for varying interests.
• Working knowledge or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
• High standards of ethical and confidentiality in dealing with internal and external constituencies.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with demonstrated ability to effectively plan, coordinate, prioritize, and execute multiple projects meeting established deadlines.
To apply, please visit our website at: https://cmshr.cms.sjsu.edu/psp/HSJPRDF/EMPLOYEE/HSJPRD/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/508259