Associate University Librarian for Collections and Discovery
University of Connecticut Libraries in Connecticut
|Date Posted||August 18, 2014|
University of Connecticut Libraries
Homer D. Babbidge Library
369 Fairfield Way, U-1005A
Storrs, CT 06269-1005
Job Opening ID: 2015037
Title: Associate University Librarian for Collections and Discovery
The University of Connecticut (UConn), one of the nations leading public research universities, seeks applications for the position of Associate University Librarian Collections and Discovery.
This senior management position, reporting to the Vice Provost for University Libraries, will provide strong leadership and oversight for a new programmatic area that supports the University of Connecticut communitys research, teaching, and scholarship. The Collections and Discovery Area supports acquisitions, metadata services, electronic resource management, document delivery-interlibrary loan resource sharing, and discovery services. As part of the Vice Provosts Council, the AUL works collaboratively with the Vice Provost and senior administration, responsible for the overall success of the University Libraries in meeting the teaching, learning, and research needs of the University of Connecticut. Additionally, this position will be actively engaged in the development, implementation and evaluation of Library goals and objectives as well as assist in developing polices and strategic decisions.
The individual chosen for this position will have a clear understanding of both the opportunities and challenges inherent in the rapidly changing landscape of academic libraries and higher education, and will have vision and enthusiasm to boldly lead the area in evolving collection and discovery models. Using data-informed assessment and an understanding of user expectations, the incumbent will create optimal resource access and management strategies.
A complete job description and further information about the University of Connecticut Libraries can be found at http://www.lib.uconn.edu/about/employment/professional.html.
- Masters degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited graduate program.
- Seven years of significant academic or research library experience with increasing responsibility in areas related to collection management, acquisitions, metadata services, licensing, copyright and resource sharing.
- Experience managing people.
- Experience with collection assessment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- A record of relevant professional publications and activities.
- Experience with user experience evaluations and usability testing.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability solving problems.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex topics to a broad audience.
- Current knowledge of pertinent issues and best practices related to the programmatic area such as: Scholarly communications; Resource sharing; Licensing resources; Copyright and fair use; Digital scholarship; Use and transformation of metadata; Discovery services and Integrated Library Systems.
This is a full time management exempt position with an anticipated start date of December 1, 2014. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn and a highly desirable work environment.
Applications should be submitted online using Husky Hire at http://www.jobs.uconn.edu and include a cover letter, detailed resume providing evidence of a distinguished record of librarianship and scholarly achievement, and contact information for three professional references.
Nominations and inquiries should be sent in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, inquiries and applications should be submitted by September 30, 2014. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the Universitys teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConns ranking as one of the nations top research universities. UConns faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.lib.uconn.edu/about/employment/professional.html