Associate Controller - CPA , MBA
Emory University in Georgia
|Deadline||September 30, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 18, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
- This is a central finance position. Interfaces with all levels of university officials, school and department administrators, affiliate institutions, and staff.
- Modifies and/or develops endowment, cash management, general ledger and other systems used by the university Controller's Office, as well as directing the production of reports and analyses from these systems.
- Is responsible for debt accounting and compliance, asset management for the University or for the preparation of annual financial statements for the University and its consolidated affiliates.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, federal and state regulations and reporting requirements.
- Supports administration's compliance with audit related requirements.
- Coordinates the correction of account balances and maintains proper accounting controls, procedures and reconciliation oversight.
- Makes recommendations to management related to long-range financial and cash flow analyses.
- Prepares and analyzes statistical and financial reports, financial statements and supporting schedules for internal and external use.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates staff. Performs related responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, finance or a related field and eight years of accounting experience, including five years of managerial/supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- CPA Required
- MBA preferred
- Experience with Endowments/Corporate Investment and Debt accounting in a Higher Education environment
- Strong supervisory/management skills
- Process Improvement mindset
- Advanced skills with Excel and Access - creating pivot tables and database queries
- PeopleSoft Financials experience also preferred
Provides leadership and direction on all accounting matters as follows:
- Direct the general ledger month-end close reconciliation and variance reviews and the preparation of monthly university and consolidated financial statements and the preparation of executive management/trustee financial report packages, by the established deadlines.
- Prepares and analyzes GAAP financial statements including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow statements as well as forecasts and other management reports of the same on a monthly basis.
- Other reports as necessary to summarize and interpret current and projected the institutions and/or units financial position.
- Performs analyses of monthly financial reports to evaluate trends, estimates, and significant variances, and writes narrative reports explaining findings.
- Makes recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
- Maintains the accuracy and integrity of the University accounting system and ensures the appropriate account classification in the financial statements.
CONTINUOUS PROCESS IMPROVEMENT & INTERNAL CONTROLS
- Continually evaluates and optimizes accounting processes, striving to deliver process automation, improved accuracy and higher customer service.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement in accounting and financial reporting processes, increasing accuracy, quality, and ease of understanding, while reducing cost and time to meet assigned deliverables.
- Collaborates with all areas of the University to streamline procedures, gain operational efficiencies and improve communications with a focus on financial systems and internal controls.
- Coordinates the documentation and assessment of internal controls over financial reporting in the annual update to the Financial Transactions Controls document.
- During the audit, coordinates the timely provision of requested information to the external auditors and reviews schedules prepared by staff
- Prepares financial schedules requested for surveys or reports required by various agencies, industry publications, continuing disclosure repositories, tax agencies, and various internal financial management and budgeting purposes.
- Coordinates with the Budget Office the preparation of monthly unrestricted operating budget variance reports, endowment spending projections and other budget cycle deliverables from the Controllers Office Accounting Interpretations and Application.
- Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on university policies and procedures, federal policies and directives, and current accounting practices which directly or indirectly impact the university; writes position papers to document application of standards to our practice.
- Assists the Controller in directing the operational plans, resource allocation, development of policies/procedures and special projects for the department.
- Continually improves organizational structure, procedures and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives.
- Oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of team members with a focus on professional growth and continual quality improvement.
- Assists in maintaining an atmosphere of cooperation with other departments.
- Establishes strong relationships with inter-departmental peers and others in the Emory community Serves on University planning and policy-making committees, as needed.
For immediate confidential consideration, please email your resume to Vicky Jones, Executive Search Consultant, Emory University - firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=25066&siteid=5043