Senior Director of Alumni Engagement - University Advancement
Rowan University in New Jersey
|Deadline||September 17, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 18, 2014|
Rowan University is a comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 14,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20-miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is only the second university in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree granting programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Its business incubator also supports that mission. The University boasts eight colleges--Rohrer College of Business and colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Engineering, Graduate and Continuing Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics—and has been called upon by the state to create a College of Health Sciences.
Rowan University seeks a dynamic individual for the position of Senior Director of Alumni Engagement. Under the direction of the Associate Vice President for University Advancement, the Senior Director of Alumni Engagement serves as a senior level strategist, engagement officer, fundraiser and leader responsible for oversight of all aspects of the alumni engagement and annual giving programs at Rowan University. This position leads a team of 4 employees and is charged with developing the vision for the Office of Alumni Engagement, which simultaneously builds financial support for the University while building and maintaining lasting relationships with a constituency of over 80,000 alumni.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Strategic Planning and Program Development
* Provide strategic direction and leadership to Rowan Universitys alumni programs designed to reach and maximize engagement of 80,000 living alumni with each other and Rowan students, faculty and staff.
* Craft strategic goals and priorities for alumni programming consistent with the goals and priorities of the university, Division of University Advancement, and with the evolving needs and interests of Rowans alumni.
* Identify points of evaluation, metrics, and analyses necessary for the assessment and management of Rowans alumni programs.
* Evaluate, strengthen and enhance existing programming, and develop and implement new programs designed to enhance the connection of our alumni to the university community, to foster life-long learning and engagement with Rowan, and to deliver relevant programs and services to alumni in return for their engagement.
* Develop and expand annual giving programs designed to increase both donor participation and annual giving revenue.
* Lead staff of 4 full-time employees who oversee class and reunion, student and young alumni, regional, special interest group, marketing, social media, and volunteer programs, and are responsible for the development and implementation of alumni programming that will increase the number of alumni engaged with Rowan in a meaningful way.
* Coordinate a comprehensive alumni engagement and annual giving program, in conjunction with the Rowan Future Fund, development officers, College deans and representatives, and University Advancement staff.
* Provide leadership and coordination between regional, special interest group, and other volunteer group programming with Colleges and departments across Rowans campus to effectively leverage and harness the combined strengths of the Colleges and the Division of University Advancement.
* Focus on identifying and developing alumni leaders and volunteers who represent the full spectrum of our overall alumni body, and maximize meaningful alumni engagement.
* Manage the planning and execution of a variety of alumni events, focused on further engaging alumni and developing alumni volunteers.
* Provide strategic direction and oversight to Rowans programs to identify, recruit, train, support, recognize and develop a robust network of alumni volunteers working on behalf of the Rowan University Alumni Association and the Office of Alumni Engagement.
* Provide staff leadership to the Alumni Association Board of Directors, serving in a non-voting, ex-officio capacity on the Alumni Association Board.
* Ensure effective staff leadership and support for class, regional and special interest volunteer programs.
* Represent the Office of Alumni Engagement on College and departmental advisory boards, university committees, and other responsibilities as assigned.
* Build strong personal relationships with alumni, faculty and staff throughout the university community, and serve as an ambassador for Rowan and advocate for the Office of Alumni Engagement and Division of University Advancement.
* Serve as a senior member of the Division of University Advancement, and provide leadership and mentoring to staff, colleagues and partners in our work.
* Collaborate with deans to develop college-specific alumni engagement and giving opportunities.
* Manage a portfolio of leadership annual giving prospects including cultivation and solicitation.
Work effectively with the advancement team as well as University administration, staff and faculty to gain strong participation in annual giving and build strategies for moving these donors to higher giving levels.
* Bachelors degree from an accredited institution.
* A minimum of seven years of progressive professional experience in annual giving, development and/or alumni relations, preferably in an academic environment.
* A minimum of twothree years supervisory experience and a proven track record of successfully planning, managing and achieving program goals and initiatives.
* Demonstrated success in developing alumni relations, constituent engagement, and/or general advancement programs, an in-depth understanding of advancement and development programs in a university or private sector setting, and the ability to integrate new programs with the universitys development priorities and initiatives.
* Proven track record of successfully implementing change within an organization and managing staff through times of growth.
* Possess a supportive and accessible leadership style, the ability to lead and motivate a diverse staff and to encourage change and growth in both people and programs, and a strong commitment to personal and professional development.
* Experience working with volunteers, the ability to manage complex relationships, and proven collaboration and teamwork skills.
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate and leverage activities, initiatives, and programs for multiple purposes with multiple stakeholders.
* Exceptional written, verbal, interpersonal and analytical skills and demonstrated creativity and organization.
* Ability to work occasional nights and weekends and willingness to travel regionally and, occasionally, nationally.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite programs.
* Previous experience in higher education desired.
* Advanced degree preferred.
* A commitment to and passion for public higher education and Rowan University.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
How to apply: Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://rowanuniversity.hodesiq.com/job-details.aspx?jobid=4681052