Director of Planning, Design and Construction
Case Western Reserve University in Ohio
|Date Posted||August 12, 2014|
The Director of Planning, Design and Construction will lead a dynamic department responsible for implementation of the Case Western Reserve University’s capital and renovation program that presently exceeds $30 million annually. The director will provide leadership for developing administrative, organizational, and systems infrastructure supporting long-term capital planning, construction and renovations. The director will oversee the development and execution of the university’s capital program and direct the university’s physical planning.
1. Advise the university’s management on matters pertaining to planning, design and construction, including planning, feasibility, scope of work, building technologies, costs and scheduling, sustainable design, risk and liability and consultant qualification and selection.
2. Provide leadership in the development of the university’s capital planning activities, including capital project definition and feasibility studies. Assist management and clients in developing sound project criteria and planning documents, methods, agendas, studies and guidelines.
3. Provide oversight of facilities-related planning from program development through construction document delivery.
4. Oversee planning functions; Responsibilities include master planning, precinct planning, landscape planning, and in collaboration with Campus Services and other units within Campus Planning and Facilities Management, planning for infrastructure, parking and transportation.
5. Develop and oversee project delivery methods and manages the staff necessary to execute effectively projects ensuring quality of work and adherence to budgetary and schedule demands. Oversee construction activity.
6. Report to administrative and trustee committees on prospective and active facilities design and construction projects, as well as on planning.
7. Represent, along with other staff members, the university at project review and approval meetings with University Circle Inc., Euclid Corridor Design Review Committee, City of Cleveland Public Works and other agencies.
8. Supervise a professional planning, design and construction staff and ensure accountability in planning, design and project management
Directly supervise the assistant director and 5 executive-level project managers.
Experience: 10 years experience with a record of successful administrative leadership, in planning, programming, design, and construction in an institutional setting. Experience building effective project delivery systems; Familiarity and experience with alternative project delivery methods.
Education: Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in architecture, engineering, business, planning or other construction related field of study is preferred. Ability to obtain OH registration as a Professional Engineer or Licensed Architect is preferable.
1. A command of contractual methods and issues
2. General knowledge of applicable building and fire codes
3. Ability to converse technically with engineers and architects regarding campus infrastructure and the design and construction of the various building types associated with a research university
4. Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects and deadlines
5. An affinity for organizational issues and endeavors, including staff development, information technology and organizational development strategy
6. Superb awareness, social and diplomatic skills to be effective in a complex organization. Excellent communication skills
7. Conceptual thinker who is attentive to details
8. Powerful intellect, broad vision, sound judgment and common sense
9. Commitment to diversity and serving the needs of a diverse community
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/3v78q7q