MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICER
Arizona State University in Arizona
|Deadline||August 25, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 12, 2014|
Media Relations Officer
Arizona State University
Marketing & Strategic Comm
Requisition I# 6762BR
Depends on experience
August 25, 2014
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications and Media Relations, develops, implements and assesses comprehensive media plans to promote and enhance ASUs academic programs, research enterprise and outreach activities.
- Manages media relations and serves as a media officer for the university.
- Works with clients to develop strategic media plans; advises on targeting stories in support of strategic initiatives to appropriate media.
- Assists administrators and faculty in developing and maintaining positive relationships with local, regional and national media.
- Develops new and maintains current relationships for ASU and clients with media organizations such as newspapers, local television and radio stations and television networks.
- Arranges interviews for senior administrators and faculty with local and national media and editorial boards.
- Writes, reviews and advises on design of stories, videos and other features with media potential and pitches those stories to appropriate national and local media.
- Produces scripts and helps shape news stories that have local and national television potential.
- Researches story trends and develops and corresponds with media to position ASU faculty, research and students as potential future stories to cover.
- Prepares and submits reports regarding area operation, including an annual media relations plan.
- Assists reporters and editors in their efforts to understand the mission and activities of the represented academic areas and the university.
- Plays pivotal role in handling crisis communications and managing university response to negative issues.
- Coordinates media trainings with faculty, staff and administrators.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related field AND three (3) years experience in public affairs, which may include government relations, community relations, international outreach or marketing; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in writing skills in both news and feature format
- Experience in multimedia story telling;
- Bilingual: ability to speak, read and writing in English and Spanish;
- Experience working with media; demonstrated experience to pitch and place stories;
- Experience managing communications plans for clients; agency experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of higher education issues and news trends
- Experience in issues management and crisis communications;
- Evidence of digital photography and video skills;
- Experience using social media to engage reporters and communicate with key audiences.
Our office is located at Centerpoint, 660 S. Mill Ave., Tempe, and also in the Fulton Center. Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. Must clearly communicate to perform essential functions. Drive ASU vehicle to and from events. Lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
The mission of The Office of Media Relations and Strategic Communications is to advance the universitys image and reputation locally, nationally and internationally by communicating and telling the stories that move people to become involved with, support and advance the efforts of Arizona State University.
Please be sure to submit a resume, cover letter, and three work samples that illustrate your qualifications for this position. One of the work samples must be a written smaple. Links to Multimedia samples are also encouraged.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 70,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, which includes 3 work samples that illustrate your qualifications for this position. One of the samples must be a written sample. Links to Multimedia samples are also encouraged.
Resumes should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meet the minimum and desired qualifications stated in this requisition.
Only electronic applications are accepted.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Staff Positions, see Req Id# 6762BR
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=791374