Director of Volunteer Engagement /Reunions & Class Giving
College of William & Mary in Virginia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 11, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The College of William & Mary seeks dynamic, highly motivated, experienced applicants for the position of Director of Volunteer Engagement at the University Development Office.
Steeped in the nations colonial heritage yet powerfully embracing the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century, the College of William & Mary educates remarkable citizen-leaders for a lifetime of learning, leadership and service. Few institutions accomplish what William & Mary does with such distinction and spirit. The second oldest educational institution in the United States, William & Mary combines a powerful commitment to undergraduate education with a well-established research model and graduate and professional programs of serious distinction. This unique learning environment is set on a historic and residential campus in Williamsburg, Virginia.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is responsible for the development and management of a comprehensive college-wide program for Alumni Class Programs, Class Reunion Campaigns and Student and Recent Graduate Philanthropy outreach.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is charged with providing program assessment, design, and implementation as well as the establishment of consistent alumni training and volunteer development opportunities. Under the general supervision of the Assistant / Associate Vice President of Lifetime Philanthropic Engagement & Annual Giving and exercising a high degree of independence, the Director of Volunteer Engagement will develop and implement strategic plans to maximize dollars raised through, and participation in, William & Marys reunions and student programs.
The Director will oversee a team of 13 professional employees and 1 graduate assistant resulting in 12 direct reports, consisting of 10 Assistant Directors, Volunteer Engagement, 1 Coordinator, Student Philanthropy and Recent Graduate Programs and 1 Development Assistant. Responsibilities include heavy interaction with and support for William & Mary alumni and benefactors, direct solicitation and closure of reunion gifts, creation and implementation of creative strategies to maximize giving to the College while utilizing volunteers. In addition, through close coordination with Development Officers and Research Staff, the Director will develop goals and giving strategies for the alumni classes under management of the team as outlined below.
The Director will also work closely with Alumni Association Staff, University Events Staff and other College-wide partners to plan for and coordinate effective alumni and student engagement opportunities. The Director of Volunteer Engagement will be responsible for maintaining and developing relationships with 2 classes, including 1 reunion class year. Assistant Directors and the Coordinator under the Directors management will be responsible for maintaining and developing relationships with 5 classes, including 1 reunion class year. The Director will execute and maintain on-going alumni engagement, class giving and participation. Engagement strategies should include annual solicitation, stewardship as well as prospect development.
Some travel, evening and weekends are required.
A bachelors degree and:
- Significant and progressively responsible demonstrable experience in academic fundraising or in a related field.
- Proven ability to manage and train volunteers as well as possess an expertise in drafting and executing creative individual and region-wide donor, prospect, and volunteer strategies. Proven ability and desire to reach aggressive goals.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. Strong organizational skills and an ability to handle multiple and complex tasks and projects concurrently. Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in using persuasive language to promote visionary gift opportunities.
- Strong work ethic and integrity. Strategic vision to create and manage a regional team to harness the potential of the larger community toward engagement and philanthropic goals.
- Prior experience managing a team of direct reports in a goal-oriented environment.
- Commitment to teamwork and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues from across the institution.
- A High level of independence with the ability to work effectively and successfully off campus without close supervision.
Preferred Qualifications: Masters degree. Experience in higher education, including alumni relations, volunteer management experience or equivalent is a plus. Previous experience in a divisional management role is highly desired.
All applicants MUST apply online in order to be considered. Submit your application, resume and cover letter at https://jobs.wm.edu
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.wm.edu