|Deadline||September 12, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 8, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Reporting directly to the President of Binghamton University, the University Ombudsman serves as the Universitys designated neutral and independent conflict management resource for all constituents of the University community, including students, staff and faculty.
The Ombudsman directs all aspects and functions of the Office of the University Ombudsman providing confidential, impartial and informal problem-solving assistance to individuals and groups within the University community; formulating, managing, and monitoring the overall goals, programs, budget, and direction of the Office of the Ombudsman; conducting outreach presentations and training programs; providing administrators with periodic informal feedback and recommendations for institutional improvement and change; and production of written annual report.
The Office of the University Ombudsman operates according to the International Ombudsman Association (IOA) Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics and the Ombudsman will be expected to become and remain active in relevant professional organizations and to engage in continuing education.
- An advanced degree preferred with a minimum of a Bachelors degree.
- A minimum of two years of related professional experience.
- Formal dispute resolution training.
- Organizational ombudsman training or willingness to obtain such training within the first year of employment.
- Familiarity with, and the ability to operationalize, the IOA Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with visitors, identify issues, research, analyze and explain information and present and analyze options for resolution.
- A comprehensive understanding of, and experience with, interest-based approaches to conflict management.
- Skills to understand risk and liability issues within a large, complex academic and research institution.
- A highly developed sense of, and reputation for acting with, integrity and discretion and the ability to exercise independent judgment and prudence in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
- The ability to work effectively and persuasively with individuals at all levels of the organization and to develop rapport with individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to make effective oral and written presentations.
- Comfort with working independently.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=51584