Senior Director, Advancement Communications
College of William & Mary in Virginia
|Deadline||August 21, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 7, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The College of William & Mary seeks dynamic, highly motivated, experienced applicants for the position of Senior Director, Advancement Communications with the University Advancement Office.
The Senior Director, Advancement Communications position is to advance the mission and goals of the College of William & Mary and the William & Mary Alumni Association by coordinating, creating, managing and executing communications, publications and publicity for the Office of University Advancement. This includes communicating stories, news and engagement efforts.
The Senior Director serves as editor of the award-winning William & Mary Alumni Magazine, and other publications and communication pieces for clear consistent messaging across campus.
Core responsibilities include:
- Manage Editors and Assistant Editors, Managing Editor and project managers; provide guidance and oversight for the Office of Marketing, Communications, Stewardship and constituent areas.
- Develop and execute marketing, communications, integrated media strategies and campaigns across campus to deliver clear and consistent messaging.
- Collaborates with freelance writers, designers, photographers, and artists; edits copy for messaging, content, grammar and AP style.
- In partnership with art director and graphic designers, creates layout and design of magazine and ensures quality production and delivery. Oversees production of the magazine on Web, iOS Newsstand, and social media.
This position may require additional hours beyond the typical work week to include evenings and weekends and the ability to travel as needed.
Bachelors degree with significant and progressively responsible professional experience and specialized expertise.
- Knowledge of best practices in media content and delivery, media relations, social media, event promotion, web-based communications, and communication analytic and analysis tools.
- Strong working knowledge of a variety of communication mediums with the ability to strategically plan, manage, produce, and direct comprehensive communications strategies that incorporate print, Web, social media, video and collateral communications.
- Strong proficiency in a variety of computer applications (specifically to MS office and web-based communications and social media sites).
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motive and manage a team that works in concert to produce high-quality publications and meet multiple deadlines. Creative talent with the ability to foster creativity in others through creative and editorial direction.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to identify short and long-range goals of Advancement, Alumni Association, Marketing, Communications and Stewardship. Highly developed skills in message development, audience identification and communications management with the ability to build consensus among colleagues.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a strong command of AP style, proofreaders marks, and editing conventions. Demonstrated knowledge producing feature stories, news articles and press releases with the proven ability to generate story ideas and respond to media inquiries.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the proven ability to foster strong relationship work effectively with internal/external constituencies and when responding to Advancement audiences, while exercising diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Service oriented with the proven ability to work independently with minimal oversight, exercise sound judgment when making decisions in support of the goals of University Advancement and the College of William & Mary.
- Strong organizational skills, with efficiency and initiative in work style, especially under deadline constraints.
- A great degree of flexibility with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities with fluidity. Willingness and ability to adapt to changes and/or upgrades in office procedures and systems.
- Demonstrated experience producing feature stories, news articles, press releases and respond to media inquiries.
- Significant experience of related communication or marketing experience.
Advanced degree in Marketing, Communication or other related field is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Alumni, Advancement, and Student Information Systems.
- Knowledge of prepress production, graphic design principles and concepts, with the ability to visually conceptualize layouts.
- An in-depth understanding of best practices in media content and delivery, media relations, social media, event promotion, Web-based communications, and communication analytic and analysis tools.
- Familiarity with content management systems, project management methodologies.
- Extensive portfolio that includes a variety of communications pieces ( i.e. magazines, publications, proposals, scripts and e-communications).
- Experience with major media outlets and garnering high level media exposure.
All applicants MUST apply online in order to be considered. Submit your application, resume and cover letter at https://jobs.wm.edu. This position will open be until August 21, 2014 and review will begin after that date.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.wm.edu