Arizona State University in Arizona
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 5, 2014|
Coordinator/Academic Coach, Student Athlete Development
Arizona State University
Requisition Id# 6490BR
Depends on Experience
August 8, 2014, is the initial close date. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed every week until search is closed.
Under the general direction and supervision of the Assistant Director for Student Athlete Development, the incumbent will serve as the designated Championship Life Coordinator for Sun Devil Athletics and will provide direction to the Championship Life Program, including working one-on-one with student-athletes who need assistance with career exploration and preparation, planning and coordinating Championship Life events and directing the Sun Devils for Life Mentoring Program. The position will also involve being an academic mentor and working one-on-one with student-athletes who have academic risk indicators. This position will perform the duties and responsibilities listed below while ensuring strict adherence to NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations, as well as policies and procedures of Arizona State University, the Department of Sun Devil Athletics and the Arizona Board of Regents.
- Meet one-one-one with all Junior and Senior student-athletes to assist with career exploration and career preparation including resume building and resume review, interviewing skills, internship and job searches
- Create vision and execution of annual Cohort programming for freshman and sophomore student-athletes.
- Provide oversight and leadership for all aspects of UNI 394: Career and Professional Development Student-Athletes course
- Provide oversight and leadership for all aspects of Championship Life programming and coordinate events including resume workshops, interview workshops, student-athlete career fairs, financial workshops, etc.
- Provide oversight and leadership for the Sun Devils for Life Mentoring Program
- Build relationships with outside companies to promote the Championship Life Program and create networking opportunities for student-athletes
- Support the Student-Athlete Advisor Committee (SAAC)
- Mentor student-athletes who have academic risk factors
- Direct student-athletes toward college services to assist in quality academic decision making (tutoring, etc.)
- Coordinate/Assist with additional programming as needed.
Bachelor's degree in a related field and three (3) years of experience in the program of assignment; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Master's degree
- Experience in career event planning and coordination
- Experience in working with academically at-risk student athletes at the high school and/or college level
- Experience in managing team study halls or individual mentoring sessions
- Experience in working with a Student-Athlete Advisor Committee (SAAC)
- Experience in relating effectively with students, coaches, staff members and faculty from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
- Experience in developing programming related to student athlete development
- Experience in monitoring student athletes progress towards degree with regards to university requirements and NCAA academic eligibility requirements
- Experience in referring students to appropriate campus resources in an effort to provide assistance for academic success
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse, standing for varying lengths of time, walking moderate distances to perform work, lifting up to 25 pounds; regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts; ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions. Regular use of standard office equipment such as computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
Supervision received from the Associate Director for Student Athlete Development.
The mission of Sun Devil Athletics (SDA) is to provide opportunities for student-athletes to achieve at the highest levels of both academic and athletic excellence, thereby providing them with opportunities for personal growth, offering a unifying force to the campus community, and creating a source of pride among and support from the external constituencies of the university.
SDA is fully committed to the principles of student-athlete welfare, institutional control, gender and ethnic diversity, and sportsmanship. This commitment includes creating an environment where student-athletes contribute to a winning tradition while enhancing the campus and local community and competing in a program having integrity and high ethical standards. SDA is committed to a leadership role within the university, community, the Pac-12 Conference, and the nation.
SDA is committed to recruit, retain and develop a diversified workforce.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 70,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
To be considered, your application must include the following:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references (personal references are not accepted)
Resumes should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meet the minimum and desired qualifications stated in this requisition.
Only electronic applications are accepted.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Staff Positions, see Req Id# 6490BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=786688
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=786688