Senior Learning and Engagement Associate
Oregon State University
|Deadline||August 31, 2014|
|Date Posted||August 4, 2014|
Oregon State Universitys Office of Equity and Inclusion seeks a Senior Learning and Engagement Associate: http://oregonstate.edu/oei/sites/default/files/senior_learning_and_engagement_associate_announcement.pdf
The Office of Equity and Inclusion invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE), 12-month, fixed-term Senior Learning and Engagement Associate. The Senior Learning and Engagement Associate provides strategic leadership in the areas of learning, programs, and communications in support of efforts to realize the vision of a university climate of inclusion, collaboration, and care that is rooted in social justice.
This position will independently and collaboratively develop, implement, and evaluate educational strategies to build institutional and individual capacity related to equity, inclusion, and diversity. This position also works collaboratively with a wide range of partners to develop, implement, and evaluate programs designed to foster engagement around the areas of diversity and social justice. This includes providing leadership to the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy that enhances educational efforts, provides information, facilitates interpersonal and group connections, and promotes engagement with equity, inclusion, and diversity efforts throughout the university. Efforts in these areas will be designed to be inclusive of the entire university community and responsive to the unique needs of specific identity groups and segments of the university community.
Masters degree in a relevant field that emphasizes a well-developed knowledge and understanding of
- Theories and pedagogies related to equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Individual and structural inequalities experienced by people from marginalized or historically underserved groups
- Current scholarship in relevant areas such as institutional access, diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism
- Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion within a complex organization
- Developing networks, engaging in outreach, and building community with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Working collaboratively and effectively with difficult issues in complex environments
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating educational/training sessions on matters of diversity and social justice
- Developing strategies for effective communications
- Providing both leadership and guidance to a team of people, and serving as a topic area resource
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity and creating inclusive environments
- Demonstrated ability to
- Work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, across multiple aspects of difference
- Communicate well, both verbally and in writing
- Be fair and gain trust of others
- Use sound judgment in professional environments
- Adapt to changing environments and shifting priorities
- Work effectively with a range of different audiences to facilitate positive and collaborative processes and initiatives
Earned doctorate in a field that emphasizes a well-developed understanding of theories and pedagogies related to equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Working in higher education
- Designing and implementing engaging communications on matters of equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Demonstrated ability to
- Work effectively with people who have experienced forms of bias, harassment, and/or violence based on their identity
- Work effectively with academic faculty, administrative and staff colleagues, students, and diverse external communities to facilitate positive and collaborative processes and initiatives
- Be persuasive across a variety of formats (e.g., in person, in writing, through social media, etc.)
- Understanding of the principles and practices of affirmative action, equal opportunity, equity, inclusion, and diversity (from education, personal/professional development, and/or work experience)
- Multilingual and/or multicultural in languages/cultures that are increasingly represented at OSU, such as Spanish/Latin-American, Mandarin Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Deaf Culture/American Sign Language
- Education, training, or experience that enhances the collective effectiveness of the office
Salary and Benefits
The recommended full-time salary range for this position is $55,000-$96,200. Salary within this range will be commensurate with education and experience. OSU offers a cafeteria-style insurance benefits program for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and immediate family members, including health, dental, life, disability, and long-term care insurance options, a generous employee retirement program, and reduced university tuition for employees/partners/families (some restrictions apply). This is a fixed-term 12-month professional faculty position, and (like most fixed-term positions at the university) is renewable at the discretion of the hiring official.
The Office of Equity and Inclusion is committed to success for the entire university community through equality, fairness, and understanding. In support of the universitys institutional mission and goals, we strive to create an inclusive university community that seeks diversity of people and perspectives, values our differences, and ensures equitable opportunities. We are a fast-paced, collaborative team with a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our office manages the universitys affirmative action, equal opportunity, and diversity efforts by engaging in community development; partnering with a range of individuals and groups to develop and deliver programs; establishing policies and procedures; evaluating hiring and recruitment practices; handling complaints of discrimination through investigation and resolution,; and providing consultation, education, and training. The Office of Equity and Inclusion supports and provides opportunities for all staff members to participate in professional development. Learn more about us.
University & Community
OSU is one of only two U.S. universities designated a land-, sea-, space- and sun-grant institution. OSU is also Oregons only university to hold both the Carnegie Foundations top designation for research institutions and its prestigious Community Engagement classification. Its over 26,000 students come from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. OSU programs touch every county within Oregon, and its faculty teach and conduct research on issues of national and global importance. The university has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, multiculturalism, and community. We actively engage in recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and student body that include members of historically underrepresented groups. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming and supportive university environment. OSU provides outstanding leadership opportunities for people interested in promoting and enhancing diversity, nurturing creativity, and building community. Learn more about Oregon State University.
For full position description and application instructions, go to Employment Opportunities at Oregon State University, Posting #0012896. To ensure full consideration, please complete your online application by 08/31/2014. A complete online application consists of
- applicant profile
- application letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position (please specifically address each of the required qualifications in your application materials)
- names and contact information for three or more references
For questions or other information, please contact the OSU Office of Equity and Inclusion at 541-737-3556.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://oregonstate.edu/jobs/