Data Warehouse Engineer
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in California
|Date Posted||August 1, 2014|
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Data Warehouse Engineer
Regular / Temporary
College / Division
$4,372 - $8,949 per month.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Cal Poly's Information Systems Team is hiring!
Cal Poly Information Technology Services seeks to fill up to two full-time professional positions on the ITS enterprise Data Warehouse team. The data warehouse team is responsible for designing, implementing, augmenting and administering a wide range of infrastructure services in support of nearly 35,000 students, faculty, and staff, as well as 50,000 student applicants annually and more than 120,000 alumni.
As part of Information Systems, the data warehouse team works with campus stakeholders to develop data models and intelligence delivery systems so the campus can achieve the aggressive goals of a wide range of strategic and tactical initiatives.
The team is responsible for the whole gamut of data warehousing, including requirements discovery, data mining and profiling, data model design, implementation, maintenance, training and support. Due to a sustained track record of successful BI solutions, ranging across most institutional domains, the data warehouse team is growing to expand to even higher levels of capability. The Cal Poly data warehouse is a central part of all strategic initiatives for business and academic improvement at the University.
The Cal Poly environment is based on the high performance, high capacity Oracle Exadata platform and associated tools (ODI, OBIEE). The team operates in an agile mode with extensive collaborations with users and cross-team technical staff. We work directly with faculty and staff at all levels in the organization. Written and verbal communications skills, a collaborative attitude, technical competence, commitment to customer success and quality are all critical key attributes for successful candidates. The present data warehouse has development/test/production tiers, more than 20 subject areas, more than 100 conformed dimensions, some 40,000 columns, and over 30 sources across a variety of platforms. The data is used for a variety of purposes including enterprise reporting for more than 200 self-service reports and queries and feeding automated provisioning of core campus applications.
- Engage with stakeholders to gather requirements for reporting and analytic solutions in support of campus initiatives
- Design appropriate data structures including star schema models utilizing Kimball concepts
- Develop and test programs using Oracle PL/SQL and other ETL tools (e.g., OWB, ODI) to support reporting and extract solutions
- Analyze and design campus reporting solutions including reports, dashboards, and predictive analytic solutions
- Support business and technical staff regarding the content and use of data warehouse objects
- Maintain table structures, programs, scripts and documentation to ensure alignment with the data warehouse strategy and architecture
Cal Poly is a major employer in the San Luis Obispo area, and encourages work-life balance and lifelong learning. A generous benefits package, valued at nearly 50% of staff salary, includes a retirement plan; medical, dental and vision plans; training opportunities; and eligibility each term for the employee or a dependent to waive certain tuition fees at any CSU. For additional benefits information, please visit: http://www.calstate.edu/Benefits/overview.shtml
About the San Luis Obispo Area:
Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, along the beautiful central coast of California, with easy access to the ocean, mountains, and wine country. Halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, south of Monterey and Big Sur, San Luis Obispo offers a vibrant, culturally rich small-town community in an uncrowded and extraordinary natural setting. For more information, see:
Bachelor's Degree and two years of relevant experience (additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of required education on a year-for-year basis)
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
- Demonstrated experience developing and supporting data warehouse models and applications.
- Working knowledge of DW 2.0 applications and implementations.
- Demonstrated experience with Oracle database and query tuning.
- Working knowledge of ODI (Oracle Data Integration).
- Demonstrated experience with SQL and PL/SQL programming.
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing and supporting database applications.
- Thorough working knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC), structured programming and object oriented design and development techniques, and change management.
- Thorough working knowledge of testing practices and application debugging and troubleshooting procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement critical maintenance fixes and to isolate and correct malfunctions, including interface problems.
- Ability to identify, assess impact, and develop recovery strategies and documentation for application or system failures.
- Working knowledge of common software application packages and tools for performance monitoring and issues tracking.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux and UNIX operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to research and evaluate new technologies and software to meet user needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff to identify user requirements and translate them into technology-based solutions.
- Ability to use creative problem-solving skills and apply effective technical solutions.
- Ability to apply campus information security policy and standards to develop specific security requirements. Ability to apply security models and frameworks to ensure appropriate database security is maintained.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver formal and informal documentation, presentations, and training to a variety of end users.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive and professional working relationships; ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to provide lead work direction and train others.
- Interest and ability to maintain and enhance technical currency.
- General knowledge of requirements for accessibility and other regulatory compliance.
NOTE: As part of the interview process, candidates may be asked to provide examples of work which are representative of of their written documentation skills.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Degree in computer science or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with DW 2.0 applications and implementations.
- Demonstrated experience with agile data modeling and representations such as star-schema, data vault, snow-flake, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with data warehouse development tools such as ODI, OWB, Cognos, etc.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Up to two positions available.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.
- This position classification has been defined as exempt and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Must be able to adjust working hours to meet special jobs. Must be able to work additional hours or holidays on an as-needed basis.
- May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Must be able to rotate evening, weekend, and holiday "on-call" hours, and be reached in support of production processing.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site.
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
Background / Fingerprint
Review Begin Date
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/502442