Head of Collection Services, MARBL
Emory University--Robert W. Woodruff Library in Georgia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||July 31, 2014|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Emory University Libraries seek an energetic, service-oriented and collaborative professional to serve as the Head of Collection Services for the Manuscript, Archives & Rare Book Library (MARBL) in the Robert W Woodruff Library. The ideal candidate will manage all facets of the Collection Services unit within MARBL, including leading the planning, development, implementation, promotion, and assessment of the services provided for collections under the leadership of the Associate Director of MARBL, and in collaboration with colleagues throughout the library. The successful candidate will combine demonstrated technical services and management experience with knowledge of standards and practices for preserving, processing, cataloging, and providing access to collection materials in an academic rare book or archives library setting.
Reporting to the Associate Director of MARBL, the Head of MARBL Collection Services is a key managerial position within the Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library and provides leadership and expertise in arranging, describing, cataloging, and preserving archival and special collections material in all formats. The incumbent directly oversees the manuscript processing, rare book cataloging, and collection management teams, including direct supervision of 4 FTE as well as project staff and student employees. The Head of Collection Services leads the planning, development, implementation, promotion, and assessment of the services provided for MARBL collections, ensuring an integrated and coordinated approach to accessioning, processing, cataloging, preservation, and management of material in all formats. The incumbent collaborates with other MARBL units and Content and Services divisions within the library to establish and implement best practices, standards and policies for collections management, preservation, description, and access across library collections. Specific duties of the incumbent include the following:
- Responsible for planning, development, implementation, management, promotion, and assessment of services provided for MARBL collections, including accessioning, processing, cataloging, preservation, and management of material in all formats.
- Serves as the unit head for Collection Services and member of management team within MARBL with programmatic responsibility for functional areas and direct supervision of 3 FTE librarians and 1 FTE staff, in addition to project staff and student employees.
- Develops, implements, and monitors unit action and business plans, setting production and service goals. Compiles statistics and develops narrative and statistical reports on unit activities and programs.
- Develops appropriate metrics to evaluate work and service levels. Develops and implements methods for measuring standard costs related to processing and cataloging, which can be used for project management and planning.
- Sets priorities and manages resources for processing and cataloging in consultation with curators, librarians, and other staff.
- Reviews finding aids, catalog records, and other descriptive output to ensure high quality and adherence to standards.
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures that guide the accessioning, processing, cataloging, preservation, and management of MARBL collections. Reviews and assesses workflows and systems for collection services functions, and implements process improvements as needed.
To view the full position posting, visit http://web.library.emory.edu/about/employment/librarian.html
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.