Department Head -- Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
Montana State University in Montana
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2014|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
Montana State University-Bozeman, Montana's Land-Grant Institution, invites nominations and applications from outstanding individuals for Head of the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department. This position is a 12-month-per-year appointment reporting to the Dean of Engineering.
The Department seeks qualified candidates with strong academic credentials to provide leadership and administrative skills for a well-established academic and research-oriented department. The Head is expected to advance Montana State Universitys prominence as a Land-Grant institution, guide graduate and undergraduate academic and research activities, oversee the departments budget, be active in fund raising and recruitment, administer program and facilities improvements, lead curriculum development and ABET accreditation, mentor and promote faculty, foster research and creative activities for faculty, interact with industry and alumni, and build collegial interactions with other departments and colleges.
The Tenure Track appointment will be at the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
- Earned doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or a closely related engineering field.
- Administrative experience at the department or large-scale project level within an academic or industry assignment.
- Appropriate experience to be eligible for a senior faculty appointment in the department.
- Ability to obtain professional registration in Montana within one year of date of hire.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and consensus/team building.
- Successful record of research publication and funding.
- Successful record of teaching and student mentoring.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Have a broad understanding of the Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology disciplines.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be able to work productively in a team environment.
- Embrace a collegial leadership style that encourages participation while motivating others to excellence.
- Be an effective advocate for the Department within the University and with external constituencies.
In accordance with MSU policy, hiring will be conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Screening of applications began on July 15, 2014, and will continue to be accepted until an adequate pool is established.
Please see the full position description here: http://www.montana.edu/jobs/faculty/14-318
To apply, submit the following:
(1) A Letter of Application that addresses each of the required and preferred qualifications for this position, and
(2) a current Curriculum Vitae, and
(3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of five current professional references.
An application packet addressing all of the above requirements and qualification as listed is highly encouraged. Missing materials and information may not be requested and may result in your application not being considered for the position.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are preferred, and must have the applicant's signature on the letter of application. For electronic submittals, please indicate "Applicant - Search #14-318" in the subject line of the email.
Submit materials to:
Jamie Pope, Administrative Assistant for MIE Head Search
c/o Electrical & Computer & Computer Engineering
Montana State University
PO Box 173780
Bozeman MT 59717-3780
For more information contact Dr. Rob Maher, Search Committee Chair, at 406-994-2505, or visit http://www.coe.montana.edu/mie