Associate Director, Academic Advising (Position #33867)
Northern Illinois University in Illinois
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||July 16, 2014|
Northern Illinois University is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Associate Director in the Academic Advising Center. This office reports to the Vice Provost and is a program unit within the Division of Academic Affairs at NIU.
The Associate Director provides primary support to the Director of the Academic Advising Center. The Associate Director will act as the lead administrator of the Academic Advising Center unit in the Director's absence. Additional responsibilities will include providing support and working closely with the Director on unit plans and facilitating the success in achieving unit goals and activities. The Associate Director will assist the Director in the supervision, training and performance evaluation of academic advisors, academic advisor-counselors and other staff. Along with the Director, the Associate Director will serve as a liaison to campus and university departments. The Associate Director is also responsible for coordinating the outreach services provided by the Academic Advising Center, with particular responsibility for the Exploring Majors House in Neptune Hall. This position will require some night and weekend hours. Position Available: September 15, 2014
- Master's degree in higher education administration, college student personnel, counseling, or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of academic advising experience in higher education.
- A minimum of three (3) years of direct experience supervising full-time professionals. Demonstrated skill and success with the utilization of developmental academic advising.
- Evidence of leadership in designing and implementing human resource programs including, training, manuals, performance appraisals, and program evaluation.
- Strong administrative and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, data collection, analytical and report-writing skills.
- Excellent ability to work independently, collaboratively with on-campus, off-campus constituencies.
- Demonstration of a strong commitment to diversity.
- Experience with student information systems.
- Proven success at managing an academic support program.
Experience advising undecided students and students experiencing academic difficulty; experience with living-leaning communities; experience planning large scale events; strategic planning and project management skills; and involvement in professional organizations such as the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
Preference will be given to application materials received by Friday, August 15, 2014; but applications will be accepted until position is filled. Send letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references to:
Sharon Freeman, Academic Advising Center
Associate Director Search
Academic Advising Center, 107
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Send e-mail inquiries and application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. When submitting electronic materials, please note "Associate Director Search" in the subject line.
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.