Career Advisor (2 positions)
Colgate University in New York
|Date Posted||July 14, 2014|
Colgate University, a highly-selective residential liberal arts university located in the picturesque central New York village of Hamilton, announces its search for a Career Advisor. Considered one of the nation’s most beautiful campuses, Colgate takes pride in the active engagement of its students and faculty in local, national and global communities. With an enrollment of approximately 2,850 undergraduates, Colgate offers 53 possible majors to its students.
As a member of the Career Services team, responsibilities will include advising and counseling current students and recent alumni through the career development process, focusing particularly on industry liaison areas, as assigned
Career Counseling and Advising
- Provide approximately 20-22 hours of individual, group, and electronic career counseling and advising for students and recent alumni weekly; documents all interactions in the Career Center Contact Management system.
- Meet individually with students to answer questions and to review job search documents during walk-in hours.
- Serve as industry liaison to Entrepreneurship and Sustainability, OR Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), OR other areas as assigned.
- Assist students with making career decisions, writing job search correspondence and graduate school essays, and preparing for interviews.
- Assist center in assessing and integrating new technology to support students' career development and successful job search.
- Develop and present programming to guide students in their career development and job search processes. Collaborate with other staff to ensure the success of the center's programming.
- Interact with alumni and employer partners.
- In collaboration with the employer relations and operations teams, cultivate and build opportunities for student on-ramping into assigned industry area(s).
- Serve as liaison to academic departments and campus partners, as assigned.
- Serve on a variety of in-house and University committees.
- Participate in on-going professional development activities and represent center at professional conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
About Colgate and the area:
Colgate is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student population. We strive to be an inclusive community - one that embraces and values diversity in an environment of mutual respect, communication and engagement. We acknowledge that in order to fulfill our aspirations, we must free ourselves from personal biases, ingrained social stereotypes, and institutionalized forms of discrimination. While we recognize that there are challenges in the experience of diversity, we seek to face them in a spirit of growth and learning.
The university is located in the village of Hamilton, a community of about 3,000 residents who enjoy the downtown’s ambience, art galleries, and restaurants, and who take pride in the many homes and public buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The village is an eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, anchored by the Colgate Inn on the north end of the village green. The green, with its gazebo, fountains, and sitting areas, serves as a gathering place for students and residents as well as home to an active farmers market, symphony concerts, and the annual Fourth of July parade.
The village activities are complemented by the wide range of events offered at the university, which is a short walk or a quick ride from campus on the Colgate Cruiser.
Lake Moraine is just north of Hamilton and provides various boating options, while the beautiful rolling hills, ponds, and open spaces provide many stress-free routes for bicycling, jogging, and hiking. A unique balance of small size, natural beauty, and varied cultural opportunities gives our students, faculty, and staff an inviting and tight-knit place to call home.
For more information about the Hamilton area, please visit http://www.visithamiltonny.com.
Colgate takes great pride in sustaining a collaborative work environment that provides a comprehensive total rewards benefit package. Colgate is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to attracting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student population. Women and candidates from historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Please visit our careers site to submit an application, view our comprehensive benefits package and learn more about working at Colgate. https://careers.colgate.edu. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
(Education and Experience):
- Bachelor's degree with 1 year of direct advising experience or equivalent required; Master's preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and problem solving skills.
- Must be a strong advocate for diversity with a proven ability to work with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to create, develop and give presentations/workshops.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and guide clients through an advising process.
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented, with excellent follow-through and execution skills.
- Ability to balance many tasks simultaneously and work well independently.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends on occasion.
- The ability to communicate the value of a liberal arts education to students and outside constituents by demonstrating an understanding of the liberal arts.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Graduate courses in college counseling are highly desirable, as is previous career advising and counseling experience - especially in the liberal arts setting.
- Demonstrated use of career counseling theory in practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to using developmentally appropriate career advising interventions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology and social media as it relates to career networking and search.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/s42vdj7