Assistant Dean of Advancement and External Relations
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in California
|Date Posted||July 14, 2014|
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Assistant Dean of Advancement and External Relations
Regular / Temporary
College / Division
OCOB-Orfalea College of Business
Salary is commensurate with the background and experience of the individual selected. Cal Poly offers excellent fringe benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System and educational benefits for eligible employees. All rights associated with the appointment are governed by the Management Personnel Plan adopted by the CSU board of Trustees.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. The emphasis of the University is a "learn by doing" educational experience for its nearly 20,000 students. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 19 consecutive years. Many students seek admission to Cal Poly not only because of its excellent academic reputation, but also because the 6,000-acre main campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, just minutes from California's Central Coast beaches.
The Orfalea College of Business includes six academic areas (Accounting, Economics, Finance, Industrial Technology, Management and Marketing) that provide bachelor degree programs in multiple concentrations and minors with approximately 90 full-time and part-time faculty, and 20 staff members. The College also has a separate Graduate Programs office that offers the MBA degree, MS in Accounting, MS in ECON, MS in Finance, MS in IT, and several dual-degree program options. The College has an Advancement Office and Advising Center as well as a Computer Lab utilized by Orfalea College of Business students on campus.
The role of University Advancement (UA) is to provide a seamless and coordinated program of outreach that fosters strong relationships with internal and external partners to enhance support for Cal Poly. UA works in close collaboration with Cal Poly stakeholders, garnering the support necessary to fulfill the University's mission and accomplish its strategic goals. UA has broad responsibilities - fundraising, communications, marketing, alumni relations, and government relations, and operates in a model that requires and encourages collaboration with partners across campus.
The OCOB Advancement Office is responsible for all aspects of external relations for the College including strategic planning for and implementation of fundraising programs designed to secure growing levels of private funding in support of the mission and vision of the OCOB. The OCOB advancement team serves and partners with the College's leadership, faculty and staff and works closely with the University Advancement division to achieve these goals. Important elements of the OCOB advancement effort include outreach and engagement with alumni, friends, corporate partners, foundations, key volunteers, parents, media and community leaders.
The incumbent will work in collaboration with the university advancement team, reports to the Associate_1'ice President for Development and works under the joint direction of the Dean of the College and the Associate Vice President for Development. This position is responsible for providing extensive strategic planning, articulation and implementation of college-wide development and advancement initiatives that have multiple� year objectives, as well as, coordinating capital campaigns that enhance and promote major fund raising and public relations efforts consistent with the mission and vision of the College. The incumbent will build relationships with high-profile contacts within industry and cultivate the interests, involvement and future support of prospective donors and supporters; manage a comprehensive and dynamic marketing program; represent the college at development events; recruit, train, support and motivate volunteers; provide administrative oversight of all advancement processes and perform the full range of supervision duties for OCOB advancement staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor's Degree is required with at least eight years of progressively responsible professional experience including a minimum of five years in development, advancement, sales, marketing public relations or a related field. Demonstrated experience in development, major gifts fundraising, marketing, planned giving, sales or other related professional field, with preference for experience in a university setting, is required.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, DEGREES, CREDENTIALS:
Possession of a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
- Previous capital campaign, major gift cultivation and/or donor solicitation experience.
- Extensive demonstrated experience in developing and cultivating contacts within the advancement community.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage a large, complex, and successful program with annual and multi-year goals in a major long-term capital project campaign.
- Exhibits a high-energy, collaborative, and productive working style.
- Experience in drafting complex proposals to corporations, private foundations, and individuals that include detailed goals, work plans and evaluative mechanisms.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of prospect management systems, fiscal administration, and volunteer development.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to utilize the alumni relations database and prospect management systems as organizational tools.
- Ability to identify, organize, and conduct potential major gift donor contacts, significant experience and/or expertise in fundraising communications, and a personal commitment to the mission of college and the University.
- Strong organizational and demonstrated administrative, leadership, and staff supervision skills.
- Successful management style characterized by a commitment to collaboration and creativity. Recognized as an effective advocate, who exhibits high ethical standards of conduct and confidentiality in dealing with various internal and external constituencies.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Experience in record keeping, using principles of accounting, budgeting, etc.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn OCOB and University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Fundraising experience in a University setting.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- This position classification has been defined as "Exempt" and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check. May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
- This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
Background / Fingerprint
Review Begin Date
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/494564