ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR BUSINESS SERVICES
University of Virginia in Virginia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||July 11, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The University of Virginia, a state supported institution with an enrollment of 20,000 students, invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Business Services. The primary focus of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) is to provide services and programmatic direction for all on-Grounds residential students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty, staff, and conference guests. With over two million square feet of residential building space, Housing and Residence Life strives to create inclusive environments that support the academic, cultural and social goals of the University. Specific living and learning programs include language immersion houses, three residential colleges, a transfer student focused community, and a comprehensive first year experience. Residential environments encompass a diverse array of building styles including traditional residence halls, apartment complexes, townhouses and single family homes.
The Assistant Director for Business Services serves as the primary point of contact for the department for day-to-day financial matters, and coordinates all budgeting and financial policy decisions. This position manages and supervises 4 full time professionals. Position provides overall oversight of procurement, budgets ($40M annually), financial reporting and human resource management. Conducts financial analysis and assists in the development of long range financial plans. Ensures adequate funds are available for renovation projects, new construction and acquisitions. Position is supervised by the Director of Business & Facilities Services.
PRINCIPLE FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Leadership and Supervision - Provide leadership, supervision, and professional development to a team of 4 full-time staff members.
- Budget Preparation- Using appropriate University budget guidance, enrollment data, operating and capital budgets, and 10 year financial projections, this position is responsible for preparing HRL budgets, totaling over $40 million annually.
- Financial Management and Reporting - The position is responsible of the preparation and analysis of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Purchasing - The position is responsible for the procurement function for Housing and Residence Life. Responsible for oversight of the processing and timely payment of all department contracts, POs and other accounts payable.
- Compensation/Human Resources Management - Provide day-to-day direction to the human resource functions of HRL; to include timekeeping, labor distribution, evaluations, hiring and performance management issues. The position manages financial aspects of the departments compensation-related activities for full time employees, temporary, wage and student employees.
- Bachelors degree required, preferably in Accounting/Finance and or Business Administration, and significant and progressive (7-10 years) of experience in finance required.
- 10 to 15 years progressive and significant experience in finance acceptable in lieu of degree.
- MBA or CPA preferred.
- Familiarity in higher education finance preferred. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Experience and significant competency in development and management of budgets, analyzing financial reports, financial modeling, and a high level of computer proficiencies with Excel.
- Prior successful supervisory experience preferred.
A competitive benefits package is offered. To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0614606. Complete a staff application and attach a cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references (indicating relationship of each reference.) Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A detailed job description is available at http://www.virginia.edu/housing/.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply. For assistance with the on-line submission process, please contact University Human Resources at 434-982-0123.