Director of Marketing and Recruitment
Northwestern University in Illinois
|Date Posted||July 8, 2014|
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor’s degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Director of Marketing and Recruitment.
The Director of Marketing and Recruitment is a member of the dean's leadership committee and is responsible for the SCS student lifecycle from first awareness to application. The position is responsible for developing, executing, and assessing strategic marketing and recruitment processes and campaigns for all SCS credit and non-credit programs that serve students regionally, nationally and globally. The Director is responsible for managing, tracking and delivering a return on investment of a $3M budget.
Some evening and weekend hours required
This critical role:
- Collaborates with SCS leadership to carry out dean's vision for the school and deliver an excellent student experience;
- Defines marketing objectives; plans and implements marketing strategy for all SCS credit and non-credit programs that are regional, national and increasingly global in reach;
- Meet and/or exceeds budgeted goals and program performance;
- Collaborates with senior academic managers to assess program marketing needs, target audiences, messaging and positioning;
- Collaborates with senior academic and administrative managers to successfully launch new programs including marketplace positioning, launch/awareness building strategies, as well as contributing to competitive intelligence, working with market research vendors as appropriate, and assisting with program launch budgets;
- Collaborates with other NU schools, departments and external organizations to support partnership programs and maximize promotional opportunities;
- Develops business processes for effective departmental and cross-departmental functions related to brand management and marketing;
- Oversees creative director to manage SCS brand across platforms and school departments;
- Maintains responsibility for online and print publication Continuum to promote the school and showcase the diverse achievements of its diverse student body to key target audiences;
- Coordinates with Alumni Relations and Development to ensure print and online publications support alumni outreach goals;
- Supports creative director in the planning, production and distribution strategy of online and print formats;
- Maintains responsibility for school and program promotional videos, including annual convocation footage;
- Represents SCS in campus-wide marketing and communications committees;
- Oversees the organization's advertising and promotion activities including SEO, PPC, online banner advertising, email, outdoor, print, radio, direct mail, content marketing, and recruitment events to successfully promote SCS' 40+ individual programs;
- Works with assistant director of marketing and creative director to ensure high-quality and high-volume content marketing (including videos), showcasing student success stories, faculty accomplishments and program distinguishing points/learning outcomes, across platforms;
- Provides direction to assistant director of marketing regarding integrated marketing and communications plans; responsible for team's delivery of innovative and cutting-edge marketing;
- Develops business processes for effective departmental and cross-departmental functions for promotional events such as information sessions and subject matter expert (SME) special events/webinars;
- Ensures professionalism of units by participating in professional associations and keeping current on other institutions' structure and initiatives;
- Charged with signing authority on vendor contracts;
- Maintains responsibility for all contracts staff negotiate and execute with media and event vendors;
- Conducts ROI analysis with assistant director of marketing campaigns to gauge effectiveness of promotional strategies; takes corrective action for identified weaknesses;
- Co-chairs website steering committee with director of IT to ensure that it is an effective tool that supports business practices;
- Ensures integrated work and communication between all administrative and academic units including marketing, admissions, recruiting, student services, front desk receptionists, and alumni relations;
- Ensures that Center for Public Safety marketing is integrated with SCS;
- Maintains responsibility for internal newsletter generated out of the marketing office (2-3 times per year);
- Oversees assistant director of recruiting and ensures best practices are employed in support of SCS programs and the Northwestern brand;
- Works with assistant director to ensure proper staffing and training, as well as productivity;
- Develops business processes for effective departmental and cross-departmental functions related to recruiting;
- Works with marketing data and finance manager to integrate and operate team software systems including: Apply Yourself online application system; EMT Connect the prospect, communications and event management system; Roger the team project management software; BUFFY the shadow finance system; and the Access database for content management;
- Works with finance department and marketing data and finance manager to plan and track spending based on previous performance and revenue projections;
- Maintains responsibility for monthly reconciliation of spending against central finance records, supported by marketing data and finance coordinator;
- Works together with manager to conduct quarterly review of marketing spends by program to make adjustments as needed;
- Maintains responsibility for annual reconciliation with finance department to ensure appropriate spend allocations by program and area;
- Works with marketing data and finance manager to produce reports as needed by associate dean of finance;
- Handles all staff HR issues in coordination with the assistant dean of administration and finance;
- Creates performance excellence plans with director reports to guide year's work;
- Advises on and ultimately approves all staff (21) PEs annually;
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- A bachelor's degree required with 5-7 years of experience in marketing or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- Supervisory experience;
- Database management experience;
- Google Analytics experience;
- Advanced skills in MS Office products.
- A master's degree in marketing, communications or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- Experience in academic setting;
- Experience marketing to adult students;
- Experience recruiting adult students;
- Experience planning and conducting special events;
- Leadership experience.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 23119.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/3d2mksn