Central Michigan University in Michigan
|Date Posted||June 24, 2014|
The Director of Library Technology provides vision and strategic leadership for Library Systems in a team- and service-oriented environment. The Director is responsible for overseeing and managing the full life cycle of the University Libraries’ systems, applications, hardware, and web services. The Director manages the departmental budget, leads a department of six staff members, and serves as a member of the Libraries’ senior management group. The Director will develop and employ strategies to ensure that the library systems support the academic needs of a 21st century university.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Functions as the primary systems expert for the Libraries.
- Establishes departmental vision, goals and objectives and leads and manages progress toward achieving them.
- Oversees, develops, and supervises Library Systems staff members.
- Develops, maintains, and communicates Library Systems policies and procedures.
- Initiates and leads the planning, evaluation, selection, implementation, development, support, security, and management of library technologies including microcomputers, servers, desktop support, ILLiad, Centra, Smart Search, CONDOR, OCLC, EMS, SharePoint, and web services.
- Manages departmental budget and ensures effective use of allocated funds in light of academic priorities.
- Provides and fosters effective communication and collaboration within the Library Systems department, with other library units, and with the university community.
- Works with the Office of Information Technology, other University staff, and with vendors to maintain the Libraries’ systems and services. Responds to the University’s goals and objectives for implementation of new technologies. Serves on CMU’s IT Executive Council.
- Collaborates with vendors and staff to perform detailed planning, installation, and implementation for new software releases. Ensures external service providers and vendors maintain the highest levels of service.
- Assesses usage of existing systems and applications in relation to user needs. Oversees data gathering and evaluation activities and prepares departmental and other administrative reports.
- Evaluates technology trends in relation to CMU’s academic programs and the Libraries’ services and ensures that CMU’s faculty, students, and staff have appropriate technology tools for work and research.
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council (DAC) and works closely with the Dean, Associate Dean, and the DAC members on library technology issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- M.L.I.S. degree or equivalent from ALA-accredited library school ; or Master’s degree in a field related to position.
- Five years recent experience in library systems.
- Three years recent, successful leadership and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of a variety of library technologies.
- Evidence of the ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and problem solving.
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize, and manage a variety of responsibilities and projects.
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills and effective interpersonal skills.
- Recent systems and management experience in higher education.
- Progressive leadership experience and responsibility.
- Experience with library applications such as Innovative Interfaces Inc. Millennium or Sierra systems, Ex Libris SFX or Primo, ILLiad, OCLC, or CONTENTdm.
- Experience with a variety of technologies: MS Office applications; Windows and UNIX computer and server operating systems; Database programming and querying;
- Microsoft SharePoint; Web site design and development, authoring tools, markup and scripting languages; Google Analytics or other web analytics; user interface design and usability testing.
Central Michigan University was established in 1892 and is among the nation’s 100 largest public universities. As a tier-one university, CMU serves nearly 20,000 students on its Mount Pleasant campus. It also enrolls more than 7,000 students and working adults online and at 50 out-of-state locations. The university is ranked No. 1 in online undergraduate education by U.S. News and World Report.
CMU delivers a superior educational experience for students that is built on close relationships with faculty and staff, hands-on learning including undergraduate research, an emphasis on leadership and volunteerism, and a global perspective.
With a $440 million budget, CMU offers more than 200 academic programs from the undergraduate to doctoral levels. Premier programs include the sciences, business, accounting, health professions, communications, teacher preparation, educational leadership, engineering, neuroscience, psychology, apparel merchandising design, music and political science.
CMU in 2013 launched the nation’s 137th College of Medicine with a unique mission of preparing students for an escalating shortage of primary care physicians in medically underserved communities.
Employees have access to state-of-the-art fitness facilities and a nationally recognized wellness program as well as health care and benefits that exceed national norms for many industries.
CMU offers top NCAA Division I athletics. The university is located in a classic college community in the heart of lower Michigan, where residents find active outdoor features, family attractions, boutique shops and Midwestern life in a vibrant university culture.
CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. CMU does not discriminate in employment against persons based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity/gender expression, genetic information, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or weight (see http://www.cmich.edu/ocrie.)
If you wish to see “EEO is the Law” posters, please click here.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.apply-for-job.net/c/jobclick.cfm?site=2701&job=18819027