Executive Director for the Midland Research Institute for Value Chain Creation
Michigan State University in Michigan
|Date Posted||June 30, 2014|
MIDLAND RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR VALUE CHAIN CREATION
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, Eli Broad College of Business is seeking a professionally prominent, dynamic leader to serve as Executive Director for the Midland Research Institute for Value Chain Creation (MRIVCC) in Midland, MI. Established by Michigan State University with the very generous financial support of multiple philanthropic and corporate donors in the Midland region, MRIVCC is intended to achieve international prominence in identifying and addressing "Grand Challenge" caliber value chain research problems. Examples could include: research and technology development in large data analytics, smart packaging, anti-counterfeiting, real-time stochastic modeling, and adaptive sensor networks. Research applications are expected to foster value chain creation and growth, as well as implicating possible business disruption and governmental regulation issues. Anticipated impacts for MRIVCC activity include improved economic competitiveness, enhanced quality of human life, environmental sustainability, and corporate "intrapreneurship." Recruiting outstanding value chain researchers, promoting international corporate, academic, and governmental collaborators, and securing necessary resources for their support will be priority activities for the Executive Director.
The top-ranked Department of Supply Chain Management in Michigan
State University's Broad College of Business is providing
intellectual leadership and initial staffing to MRIVCC, in
cooperation with MSU's School of Packaging, Department of Food
Science & Human Nutrition, and College of Engineering. This is
a fixed-term academic staff position at the specialist level. For
individuals that might have appropriate academic credentials, an
academic faculty appointment could be considered.
A successful candidate will:
* Bring substantial personal integrity, industrial experience, supply-chain-related research expertise, and effective leadership to an organizationally young, entrepreneurially-focused Institute, with the aim of establishing internationally recognized research and development excellence relevant to private sector needs.
* Lead by example, by recruiting and leading a personal research and development group to conduct internationally competitive study in some area of value chain creation.
* Actively oversee the development of a diverse set of other independent research and development groups led by distinguished colleagues.
* Liaise with corporate, economic development, philanthropic, and governmental collaborators, with the aim of ensuring that Institute programs achieve demonstrable positive impact for the nation and the world.
* Develop a sustainable funding base for Institute research through energetic and successful solicitation of peer-reviewed grants, cooperative research agreements, and industrial affiliate group memberships.
* Build appropriate, mutually beneficial collaborative relationships with faculty and units on the MSU campus and at other MSU sites throughout Michigan, and with similar faculty and units at collaborating academic institutions in the U.S. and abroad.
* Exploit opportunistically emerging possibilities for education and training efforts that align well with the purpose of the Institute.
* A combination of 20 or more years of experience in academia or industry with experience in grants and contracts, business, and value chain;
* Master's degree in a business or engineering related field.
* Academic record consistent with that of a named professor at a Research I university;
* Doctoral degree (preferably in a business or engineering related field).
Applications must be submitted online at: https://jobs.msu.edu. Refer to posting #9466. Review of applications will begin on June 1, 2014. The preferred start date is August 2014. For additional information, please contact Dr. David Closs, Department Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Vallabh Sambamurthy (Samba@msu.edu).
Broad College of Business
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is
committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The
university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of
women, persons of color, veterans and persons with
MSU is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.msu.edu