Director of the Center for University Scholars
Jackson State University in Mississippi
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 23, 2014|
Department: Division of Research and Federal Relations
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Grant Funded: Yes
Location: Main Campus
Faculty or Staff: Administrative Staff with Potential Faculty Appointment
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2014
The Director of the Center for University Scholars (the Director) is responsible for managing current programming and for planning future directions of the Center for University Scholars (the Center). The candidate selected for this position will lead staff in designing and implementing a number of programmatic activities aimed at addressing a variety of faculty roles including teaching, research, scholarship, creative activities, and service. The Director will report to the Associate Vice President for Research/Research Development.
The Director will lead the Academy for Research and Scholarly Engagement. The Academy consists of an academic-year long program of workshops aimed at providing junior and re-emerging faculty members with the skills and opportunity to develop a competitive proposal for external funding by an agency or foundation. Administrative tasks associated with the Academy include recruitment of participants (i.e., Academy Scholars), implementation of application and selection processes, and the pairing of Academy Scholars with coaches from among Jackson State University’s (JSU’s) leading researchers. Monitoring of scholar-coach progress and scholars’ submission of proposals are key responsibilities of the Director.
The Director will also oversee the travel awards program of the Center, which provides travel support for faculty members to present their research at academic conferences and professional meetings. The Director will oversee the graduate assistant program, which provides support to faculty members for graduate research and teaching assistants. Other current programmatic initiatives within the Center, which the Director will also oversee, include a brown bag luncheon series and a variety of professional development workshops.
The Director will support the JSU ADVANCE project, focusing specifically on its faculty development aspects. In cooperation with the JSU ADVANCE Leadership Team, the Director will design and develop a plan for the institutionalization of this project as a part of the Center. Components of this project include a Summer Writing Retreat, International Visibility, Mentoring, Leadership, Bias Awareness, and Policy Change.
The Director will work in collaboration with the Division of Academic and Student Affairs in further establishing a comprehensive, year-long New Faculty Orientation Program with appropriate workshops, seminars, and other activities. It is also expected that a second and third year faculty development program will be launched. The Director is expected to seek additional funding through internal and external sources in order to support new initiatives related to faculty development.
The Director will develop and implement a comprehensive framework for faculty development which integrates the above components as well as other initiatives across the campus to provide a complete program of faculty development for new and re-emerging faculty members which focuses on advancing the research, scholarly engagement, creative activities, and innovative ideas of faculty, while supporting their teaching, other faculty roles and ensuring career-life balance. In addition to supporting junior faculty members across the variety of faculty roles, the Director will design initiatives to support faculty members throughout their professional careers. The Director will work with faculty members to develop Research and Scholarly Agendas and career roadmaps for achieving their agendas.
The Director will work collaboratively across the Division of Research and Federal Relations, the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, the University’s colleges and schools, the Mississippi e-Center @ JSU, and other campus academic and research centers in order to ensure that all initiatives and activities involving faculty development are integrated throughout the JSU campus.
The Director of the Center for University Scholars will perform other related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Research and Federal Relations and the Associate Vice President for Research/Research Development.
Minimum Required Education:
1) Ph.D. or terminal degree
Minimum Required Experience:
1) Experience with appointment as a faculty member at the rank of tenured Associate Professor or above.
2) Background and expertise in (a) Research, Scholarship, and/or Creative Activities; (b) Teaching and Learning; and (c) Career Development.
3) A demonstrated record of academic achievements and record of obtaining external funding from federal, state, public and/or private sources.
4) Project Management and/or Supervisory Experience.
1) Demonstrated success collaborating with faculty and staff across departmental and university units.
2) Demonstrated experience and success with research and scholarship as evidenced by publication record and related activities.
3) Success with obtaining funding to support research and experience in the management of funded projects.
4) Experience designing, implementing, and managing projects and the faculty and staff associated with those projects.
5) Knowledge of university policies and procedures related to faculty affairs.
Skills and abilities:
1) Excellent organizational, administrative, leadership, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
2) Ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
3) Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage and coordinate a variety of projects simultaneously.
4) Ability to organize, plan, and coordinate personnel and financial resources in a complex and changing environment.
5) Ability to secure funding to support and to incorporate best practices in the field of faculty professional development.
6) Ability to work cooperatively across the institution to ensure that the goals and objectives of the programs are successfully implemented.
7) Ability to communicate, lead, and facilitate a professional, collegial, transparent, and inclusive environment working with multiple and diverse constituent groups.
8) Computing skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and project management software.
Open Date: Immediately
Close Date: Position Open Until Filled
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com/