Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students
University of Central Florida c/o Keeling & Associates
|Deadline||June 19, 2014|
|Date Posted||June 6, 2014|
Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students
Student Development and Enrollment Services
The University of Central Florida (UCF), one of the largest and most dynamic universities in the country, announces a national search for an experienced, energetic, collaborative, and visionary Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students (SAVP) in the division of Student Development and Enrollment Services (SDES). This position will have a primary leadership role as the official second-in-command for the Vice President (VP), SDES, with delegated authority for numerous critical SDES functions when the Vice President is not available. In addition, this position serves as the main point of contact for crisis response management and preparation for the Division and has supervisory and oversight responsibility for the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, including Student Conduct, and Integrity and Ethical Development; Student Legal Services; Health Services; Counseling and Psychological Services; Wellness and Health Promotion Services; Neighborhood Relations and Safety Education.
The University of Central Florida and its 12 colleges provide educational opportunities to 60,000 students from all 50 states and 140 countries. Located in Orlando, Florida, UCF is the second-largest university in the United States by enrollment. The 1,415-acre main campus provides modern facilities with 600 acres set aside for lakes, woods and an arboretum. Offering over 200 degree programs, it has become an academic and research leader in numerous fields, such as optics, modeling and simulation, engineering and computer science, business administration, education, science, hospitality management, and digital media.
UCF is called a “Top Up-and-Coming” national university by U.S. News & World Report, a best-value university by The Princeton Review and Kiplinger, and one of the nation’s most affordable colleges by Forbes. To learn more about UCF, please visit: http://www.ucf.edu.
The Division of Student Development and Enrollment Services (SDES)
SDES is the source of the University’s core student and academic support services and has nine distinct functional areas – learning support, wellness, first year transition, housing and residence life, student rights and responsibilities, community support, student life and services, and recruitment and financial support. It is one of the largest, most complex, and most effective student affairs divisions in higher education. The SAVP is a new position developed through a process of review and renewal of leadership structures in the Division after the recent addition of admissions and financial aid to the SDES portfolio.
SDES empowers students to succeed by adding values.
The Division of Student Development and Enrollment Services (SDES) engages students in the total collegiate experience; from identification, recruitment, matriculation and investment, to successful progression, graduation, and employment in a global workforce. This is accomplished by providing opportunities for enriched student development, leadership growth, experience based learning, values education and civic engagement which lead to overall student success.
SDES affirms that the student who comes to UCF should not be the same student who graduates from UCF. We embrace the tenets of the UCF Creed – Integrity, Scholarship, Community, Creativity, and Excellence as a framework for developing student learning outcomes to facilitate transformational learning.
• Serves as second-in-command to the Vice President (VP) and as acting VP when the VP is absent.
• Works to create a strong sense of team and enduring spirit of collaboration and common purpose among members of the SDES Senior Leadership Team and throughout the Division.
• Advises the VP, increases the effectiveness and efficiency of SDES, serves as a visible and vocal leader in the Division and the University, and creates new strategies to propel the Division forward.
• Works collaboratively and creatively with the VP and others in leading the Division, recognizing and responding to opportunities and challenges, and progressively and appropriately developing key relationships with academic and administrative colleagues to further the mission and the goals of SDES and the Office of the Dean of Students.
• Serves as the contact point for all training and preparation of staff in emergency preparedness and crisis management for SDES. Working with the Office of Emergency Management, University Police, and other campus partners to collaborate in bringing the needs of the Division to a level that would meet any security challenge or crisis event. The SAVP is also responsible for the publication of materials and opportunities for the education of the Division in the field of safety and security.
• Serves as the contact point for the Division regarding compliance with Title IV, Cleary Act, and Title V requirements, and provides leadership to ensure that the University community provides exceptional student support services to educate, prevent, and respond.
• Serves as the primary point of contact responsible for all complex and far-reaching student matters. The SAVP is charged with guaranteeing the development of positive, proactive programs and student development services and systematically assesses, evaluates, and updates the VP on the effectiveness of the programs, policies, and activities that falls under the Office of the Dean of Students.
• Supervises an Assistant Vice President and director-level staff to ensure quality, responsiveness, and effectiveness in programs and services by supporting, developing and directing staff to meet goals, build on past successes, and create new visions for their departments.
• Provides leadership and oversight for the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities that includes Student Conduct, Care Services, and Integrity and Ethical Development; Student Legal Services; Health Services; Counseling and Psychological Services; and Wellness and Health Promotion Services. The SAVP must provide knowledgeable oversight of these departments' operations and devise optimal staffing models to ensure strong strategic and day-to-day leadership. S/he is involved in the planning, development, budgets, staffing, facilities, strategic plan, and assessment activities of these departments.
• Serves on Divisional and University committees as needed or required.
• Performs other duties as required or deemed appropriate by the Vice President.
A master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and seven years of appropriate experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and nine years of appropriate experience.
It is preferred that candidates have an earned doctoral degree in higher education administration, student personnel, counseling, psychology, or a closely related field; and extensive professional experience in Student Affairs with progressive leadership and supervisory responsibilities, including experience/involvement with crisis management, student conduct programs, student programming, and student leadership programs. A substantial portion of that experience must have been at a large, complex institution.
• Demonstrated exceptional management/administrative skills (including policy, budget, supervisory, and program development and evaluation responsibilities).
Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain productive, positive, and accountable interpersonal professional relationships.
• Extensive knowledge of higher education, student affairs philosophy and models, best practices, and the culture, policies, and procedures of a large higher education institution.
• Knowledge of emerging trends and needs among undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.
• Demonstrated experience working with and advocating for ethnically and culturally diverse student populations.
The successful candidate will be visionary but practical, experienced, innovative, adaptable, and a proven leader who has solid operational knowledge of and demonstrated, documented success at a large, complex, and dynamic institution.
This is a full-time, 12-month salaried position. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience; UCF offers a generous fringe benefit package.
Application Procedure and Timeline
Applications should consist of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of 3-5 references with full contact information, none of whom will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. All application materials must be submitted electronically to www.jobswithucf.com.
Applications must be received electronically at the website above by midnight on Thursday, June 19, 2014. A review of materials will then begin immediately.
The University of Central Florida has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. For a confidential discussion about this opportunity prior to applying or nominating, contact Dr. Almeda R. Jacks at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 542-3218.
The University of Central Florida is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer, and encourages women, members of racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities to apply. All searches and documents are subject to the open records laws of the State of Florida.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/481479