Research Deveopment Officer
Jackson State University in Mississippi
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 10, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Position Title: Research Development Officer
Department: Division of Research and Federal Relations
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Grant Funded: Partially
Location: Main Campus
Faculty or Staff: Administrative Staff with Potential Faculty Appointment
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2014
The Research Development Officer will have primary responsibility for working with Jackson State University (JSU) faculty members across all five colleges, multiple campus centers, and a variety of other units to secure funding for their research and scholarly agendas by identifying, facilitating, promoting, and acquiring sponsorship for research initiatives. The candidate selected for this position will also support multidisciplinary and potentially multi-institutional teams of faculty members in securing funding. Support will be provided through a number of existing and new programs to be developed focusing on research development and advancement. The Research Development Officer will report to the Associate Vice President for Research/Research Development.
The Research Development Officer will support both individual and teams of faculty and staff researchers in the submission of proposals in response to Requests For Proposals (RFPs) from federal and state agencies, as well as private foundations.
The Research Development Officer will work with faculty members to ensure that they submit proposals within appropriate career timeframes to support their research and scholarly agendas.
The Research Development Officer will provide support to the Academy for Research and Scholarly Engagement. The academy consists of an academic-year long program of workshops aimed at providing junior and re-emerging faculty members with the skills and opportunity to develop a competitive proposal for external funding by an agency or foundation. Ensuring submission of a competitive proposal by each participant is a key responsibility of the Research Development Officer.
The Research Development Officer will also support the Leadership Team for the JSU ADVANCE project focusing specifically on the faculty development aspects. The Research Development Officer will also support the submission of proposals for the institutionalization of this project.
The Research Development Officer will serve as a liaison between the Division of Research and Federal Relations, the Division of Institutional Advancement, the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, the University’s colleges and schools, the Mississippi e-Center @ JSU, and other campus academic and research centers in order to ensure that all research initiatives and funding opportunities are integrated and promoted throughout the JSU campus.
The Research Development Officer will coordinate activities among the Research Council, the Council of Assistant and Associate Deans, various faculty committees, the Unit of Research and Sponsored Programs, Research and Regulatory Compliance, Contracts and Grants and other appropriate University Committees in order to implement the Research Strategic Goals of Jackson State University.
The Research Development Officer will perform other related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Research and Federal Relations and the Associate Vice President for Research/Research Development.
Minimum Required Education:
Minimum Required Experience:
1) Five years experience in proposal development and grants management.
2) A demonstrated record of obtaining external funding from federal, state, public and/or private sources.
3) Project Management and/or Supervisory Experience.
4) The candidate should have an understanding of the requirements of faculty members.
1) Terminal Degree.
2) Experience with appointment as a faculty member at the rank of tenured Associate Professor or service as a Program Officer at a funding agency.
3) A record of research and scholarly engagement or experience at a Federal Agency or Foundation in the area of Grantmanship.
4) Knowledge of University, Federal, State, and Agency Regulations regarding sponsored projects.
Skills and abilities:
1) Excellent organizational, administrative, leadership, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
2) Ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
3) Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage and coordinate a variety of projects simultaneously.
4) Ability to respond and adapt to multiple tasks and changing situations appropriately.
5) Ability to work cooperatively across the institution to ensure that the goals and objectives of the Division of Research and Federal Relations are successfully implemented.
6) Ability to communicate, lead, and facilitate a professional, collegial, transparent, and inclusive environment working with multiple and diverse constituent groups.
7) Computing skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and project management software.
Open Date: Immediately
Close Date: Position Open Until Filled
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com