Associate University Librarian for Research & Learning
University of Minnesota Libraries - Twin Cities in Minnesota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 2, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The University of Minnesota University Libraries is a vibrant system of libraries on the Twin Cities campus. The institutions comprehensive research programs and extensive undergraduate curricula are enriched by a land grant mission and programs of community engagement. The Libraries system is an integral part of campus life and a significant resource and collaborator within state, national, and international library communities. Coordinating relationships with the Universitys four system campuses leverage significant infrastructure of the University Libraries.
The Associate University Librarian (AUL) provides visionary, strategic, and creative senior leadership for the division of Research & Learning, working in a highly collaborative model with AULs for Content & Collections, Data & Technology, Health Sciences, and Organization Development. The division integrates the education and research support programs of the Libraries and operational services within library facilities. The division comprises staff who provide general and specialized information services, including discipline liaisons and functional specialists responsible for programmatic engagement in research, teaching, and learning on campus. The AUL has responsibility to coordinate operational services and associated policies across13 library facilities.
The AUL holds administrative, planning and resource responsibilities for 5 departments (Access and Information Services, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Professional Programs, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Agricultural/Biological/Environmental Sciences) and collaborates with leadership in Health Sciences and Archives and Special Collections. In partnership with the other AULs, the AUL for Research & Learning ensures a coherent and responsive information and service environment for the highly interdisciplinary needs of the campus. The AUL serves as a member of the Libraries executive group, reporting to the University Librarian.
The University of Minnesota Libraries is recognized for a highly collaborative organizational structure, innovative instructional and technology programs, responsive resource sharing, rich historical and special collections, and robust services and educational programs. Libraries outreach beyond the University is strengthened by unparalleled infrastructure for resource sharing, licensing, digitization, and digital preservation within the state and region provided by the state-supported Minitex program, a division of the University Libraries. The Libraries is a member of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Center for Library Initiatives, the HathiTrust, the Digital Preservation Network, the National Digital Stewardship Alliance, Council of Library and Information Resources/Digital Library Federation, and the Center for Research Libraries.
The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, is a classic Big Ten campus in the heart of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. It is both the state land-grant university, with a strong tradition of education and public service, and a major research institution, with scholars of national and international reputation. The metropolitan area offers rich cultural, educational, and recreational opportunities: http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/
- Contribute to the Libraries executive group for strategic planning, resource development, policy, and collaborative program development.
- Provide leadership for divisional planning, resource allocation/development, and evaluation. Anticipate emerging issues and enable the divisions ongoing assessment and refinement of plans and activities.
- Provide leadership and stewardship for major program development and collaborate to enable and support cross-divisional initiatives.
- Develop policies and programs that enable an exceptional and coherent user experience, while recognizing diverse needs of multiple constituencies. Ensure responsive environments for learning and research within library facilities.
- Nurture an organizational culture of innovation, evidence-based investments, and responsive program development.
- Develop and sustain relationships with academic leadership to inform Libraries program development and enable partnerships.
- Ensure effective support and development for divisional staff and contribute to organization development. Ensure ongoing communication within the division and Libraries.
- Identify opportunities for external partnerships with institutions and organizations to leverage expertise and develop programs at scale.
- Actively participate in and contribute to the profession, advancing new program models, inter-institutional initiatives, and relevant public policy.
Required: ALA accredited Masters in Library/Information Science or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience. Substantial overall professional experience to include significant management experience within a research library (or related) environment. Experience in the application of knowledge resources and services in service to the academy. Demonstrated knowledge of technology and its application for innovation in service. Experience with program development and collaboration. Commitment to supporting a diverse environment. Excellent communication skills. Record of professional contributions and leadership.
Preferred: Second advanced degree. Evidence of effective resource management strategies. Experience in community outreach and development. Record of successful grant application and management.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The University Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits. This is a full-time, 12-month, administrative appointment. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
TO APPLY: Position is available immediately. Submit a letter of application, CV/resume, and names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current professional references at: https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=120915 . Please identify the application with UL316.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=120915