Associate Director for Transfer Advising
CUNY John Jay College in New York
|Date Posted||May 30, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Associate Director for Transfer Advising
CUNY John Jay College
Job ID: 10778
Job Title Name: ssociate Director
Contract Title: Higher Education Associate
Position Type: Regular/Full-Time
Closing Date: June 29, 2014
Compensation: $55,602 - $74,133
College website: www.jjay.cuny.edu
- Provides highly expert and/or specialized academic counseling to a diverse student population and contributes to the successful operations of an academic advising unit.
- Offers comprehensive advisement to full-time and part-time students
- Works with other academic affairs staff as well as enrollment and student affairs to assist students to declare majors and select appropriate courses
- Monitors students' performances and takes appropriate action if necessary; resolves students' problems regarding curricular requirements
- Develops academic plans and performs graduation audits
- Plans, develops, and presents special programs such as workshops, seminars, and general information sessions
- Develops communications and materials for students regarding support services, college policies and program procedures and guidelines
- Hires, develops, and supervises a team of academic advisors; provides general training and development to all advising staff
- Works with representatives of other student service units, such as the Registrar, to assure a continuously high level of student service
- Performs other related duties, as assigned
Higher Education Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In addition to the general duties the Associate Director for Transfer Advising will also:
- Oversee individual and group advisement of transfer students.
- Promote students' awareness of key support services and institutional policies and procedures.
- Develop and provide training and promote consistent use of Academic Advising electronic systems (i.e., DegreeWorks, CUNYFirst and AdvisorTrac) among students, faculty, and staff.
- Work closely with the Associate Director of Transfer Academic Programs to ensure effective communication and a seamless transition for students in the CUNY Justice Academy (CJA).
- Develop relationships with academic advising units and academic departments of CJA partner campuses to support advisement of students in the dual degree programs.
- Supervise CJA Advisors and part-time advisors.
- Collect and interpret Transfer and CJA students' data for annual report.
- Engage in professional development activities such as, joining professional organizations, staying current with professional standards and literature, and building information technology skills to enhance work performance.
- Act on behalf of Director in his/her absence.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 6 years' related experience required.
- Master's degree in student personnel administration, higher education, counseling or related field.
- Six years of experience working directly with undergraduate students in an academic setting or related field.
- Direct advising experience with one or more of the following student populations preferred: transfer students, disabled students, or students in academic difficulty.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse faculty, staff and student population while representing the Academic Advising Center and the College to internal and external constituents.
$55,602 - $74,133
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply please visit: www.jjay.cuny.edu/jobs. Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
June 29, 2014
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.