Media Relations Associate / Writer
University of Virginia in Virginia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||May 22, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Office of University Communications at the University of Virginia seeks a Media Relations Associate. The Media Relations Associate will be responsible for:
- The development and execution of a wide range of editorial projects for external and internal audiences.
- Writing and editing for recurring publications and electronic news distribution.
- Counseling internal clients on editorial matters.
- Accepting assignments on a wide range of topics from editors, and also develops own story ideas based on in-depth knowledge of the University and as a result of personal contacts developed through the University.
- Discussing story ideas with managers and determines scope, deadlines, word counts and photo or other graphic possibilities.
- Submitting stories that are well-researched and well-reported, grammatically and factually sound, clearly written and interesting to read, conform to AP style, are balanced in viewpoint and that follow standards of excellent journalism.
- Writing and distributing press releases to appropriate media outlets.
- Proactively pitching stories to news media as assigned.
The successful candidate will have at least three years' experience in publication production, writing and editing. He/she will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work toward strict deadlines. The ideal candidate will possess formal writing experience with demonstrated ability to identify and pursue stories that adhere to strategic priorities. The individual should possess a familiarity with the news media so that he/she can effectively pitch and follow-up on stories and press releases.
A bachelor's degree is required.
For more information and to apply, please visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0614068.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=73112