Assistant Director, Student Affirs Assessment & Research
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in California
|Date Posted||May 16, 2014|
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Assistant Director, Student Affirs Assessment & Research
Regular / Temporary
College / Division
Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. Cal Poly offers excellent fringe benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System and educational benefits for eligible employees. All rights associated with the appointment are governed by the Management Personnel Plan adopted by the CSU Board of Trustees.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, comprehensive, polytechnic university located in San Luis Obispo, California. The emphasis of the University is a "learn by doing" educational experience for its more than 19,000+ students. Cal Poly is a residential campus, with an on-campus population of approximately 7,800 making it the largest student-housing program in the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. U.S. News and World Report ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 19 consecutive years. Many students seek admission to Cal Poly not only because of its outstanding academic reputation, but also because the 6,000-acre main campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, just minutes from California's Central Coast beaches
The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) is the administrative site for the Chief Student Affairs Officer of the University, responsible for overseeing the University's vital student support services for more than 19,000 enrolled students, including: Career Services, Dean of Students Office, Health and Counseling Services, Testing Services, Disability Resource Center, Student Rights and Responsibilities, Parent and Family Programs, Student Academic Services, Student Life and Leadership, University Housing, Campus Dining, and Associated Students, Inc. In addition, the University's Commencement program is administered through VPSA.
This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and works directly with the Student Affairs executive team, Directors and Assistant Deans of Students to measure the effectiveness of strategic initiatives within Student Affairs, such as co-curricular learning, student outcomes, student engagement and student success. This position will develop, plan and implement program evaluations and outcomes assessment for all Student Affairs programs and services with recommendations for new and/or improved services. In addition, this position will develop and deliver reports, articles and presentations to showcase findings; and ensure that timely results are disseminated throughout Student Services communications and marketing platforms to all constituent groups (including: students, parents, staff, faculty, administration, community, alumni, patrons, etc.).
This position will complete research projects requiring qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis for Student Affairs in collaboration with Institutional Research teams on campus. This position will also be responsible to manage data and technology involved in storing, tracking, and reporting assessment/evaluation data.
A Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of three years of progressively responsible professional experience in assessment and research within a large organization, including a minimum of one year supervisory/management experience.
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
- Ability to research and collect data related to program effectiveness, outcomes and impact.
- Experience in effectively facilitating focus groups and interviews.
- Experience developing assessment instruments, constructing surveys, and designing sampling strategies.
- Ability to summarize findings, write executive reports and present assessment results to executives and larger groups.
- Ability to adapt to the dynamics of organizational, procedural and policy changes.
- Working knowledge of research methodology, statistical analysis and database management.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting both quantitative and qualitative research.
- Working knowledge of administrative concepts, practices and procedures.
- Ability to research, develop and evaluate policies and programs, including collection, evaluation and interpretation of data and information from a wide variety of sources to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to gather information from a wide variety of sources, analyze the information and summarize the information in a useful, understandable manner; ability to compile, organize, write, and present reports and provide analytical information.
- Ability to independently plan and coordinate daily workload, multi-task and set own priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately and efficiently perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent written communication and proofreading skills (spelling, punctuation, and grammar) with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism to effectively handle a broad range of high-level and sensitive interpersonal situations with multifarious personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University, with the ability to establish a good rapport and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad perspective and anticipate the impact of office administration problems and solutions on other areas.
- Ability to train others and provide lead work direction.
- Must possess good negotiation and persuasion skills to achieve results and expedite projects.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively articulate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, publication software (e.g., MS Publisher), presentation software (e.g., MS PowerPoint), on-line systems, Internet, calendaring, and email.
- Working knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn, the University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Master's Degree.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
- Experience in a university setting.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, assessment instrumentation in the context of Student Affairs.
- Working knowledge of University online applications: MS Outlook and Zimbra email/calendaring systems; CMS PeopleSoft Financials and Human Resources, Web development software (Drupal) and the ability to effectively retrieve information for the sake of reporting.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Must be able to work occasional holidays and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.
This position classification has been defined as Exempt and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Background / Fingerprint
Review Begin Date
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/471855