Assistant General Counsel
University of Oregon in Oregon
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||May 6, 2014|
Assistant General Counsel
University of Oregon
The University of Oregon invites applications for the position of Assistant General Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel (OGC). The Assistant General Counsel reports to the General Counsel who in turn reports to the President of the University. The OGC is a fast-paced, high volume work place. The General Counsel places a premium on the ability to: (1) avoid or solve problems by developing practical solutions informed by legal considerations and policy objectives, as well as political, public relations, and programmatic considerations; and (2) manage university projects that have a legal component.
Qualified applicants must be able to: (1) work with all university administrators; (2) interact professionally and knowledgeably with the university's external constituencies and other entities; (3) handle multiple unrelated matters concurrently, rapidly, and accurately; (4) work in the evening and on weekends; (5) work cooperatively with and manage civil litigation conducted by outside counsel.
Candidates qualifying for the position of Assistant General Counsel must have or develop knowledge of legal areas such as student affairs, civil rights, contracts and purchasing, public records, privacy, government employee ethics, and labor and employment. This position has no budgetary authority or direct supervisory responsibility, although the Assistant General Counsel may supervise some work performed by an executive assistant and law clerk. This position reports to the General Counsel.
The Assistant General Counsel is expected to be able to defend the university before state and federal agencies.
- Law degree from an accredited institution.
- At least four years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Admitted to Oregon state bar or immediately admissible by reciprocity. .
- Demonstrated analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Superb professional judgment.
- High ethical standards.
- A commitment to diversity and the ability to work with divergent personalities
- Experience working on behalf of an institution of higher education or a large governmental entity.
- Experience in defense of agency proceedings.
- Experience with labor and employment law.
- Experience with public law matters.
The University is located in Eugene, a progressive city of approximately 155,000 people in the Willamette Valley. Eugene has abundant recreational and cultural opportunities and is one hour from both the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountain Range. Portland is 100 miles to the north.
Compensation is competitive and will take into consideration the successful candidates qualifications. A full range of excellent benefits is provided. To ensure consideration please submit applications by May 30, 2014. The position will remain open until filled. The required application materials consist of a cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional references. The cover letter should specifically describe the applicant's interest in the position and the University of Oregon. Finalist must complete a criminal background check. Application materials should be sent to:
Office of the General Counsel
1226 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1226
FAX: (541) 346-6110
The University of Oregon is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.