Associate Provost for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (003336)
University of Denver in Colorado
|Deadline||May 23, 2014|
|Date Posted||April 23, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Associate Provost for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning(AP) promotes initiatives to improve teaching, learning, and academic assessment across the University. Overseeing the Office of Teaching and Learning, the Associate Provost supports a culture that values and rewards excellence in teaching and learning by providing faculty members with professional development opportunities to improve teaching practices; by developing and supporting state-of-the-art technology and Web-based applications that enhance student learning; and by collaborating with faculty members on innovative teaching projects.
The Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) currently employs thirteen staff members with a broad range of expertise in instructional design, educational technologies, and academic assessment. The OTL staff includes three directors and a team of application developers capable of building custom applications in support of OTLs mission. For more information about the office, visit this link: http://otl.du.edu
Leadership for OTL core mission:
- Lead faculty members in the exploration of innovative teaching strategies that are responsive to a diverse range of student learning experiences, including the effective use of technology, interdisciplinary approaches, and the application of learning theories.
- Support faculty members in the development of innovative and effective teaching and assessment skills and strategies to enhance opportunities for student learning.
- Collaborate with faculty members to explore new pedagogical approaches and opportunities that hold promise for increasing the impact of a DU education.
- Direct the OTL as it coordinates a support system to develop projects that enrich teaching and learning.
- Foster close working relationships among the OTL, University Technology Services, and University Libraries.
- Work collaboratively with academic units, institutional research, and other offices on campus.
Program Design and Delivery:
- Collaborate in the development and maintenance of a teaching and learning infrastructure that supports multiple learning modalities.
- Collaborate with faculty members and academic administrators in planning effective strategies for student learning assessment and teaching and program improvement.
- Provide leadership for assessing and adopting new technologies in support of teaching and learning.
Administration and Management:
- Develop and manage the OTL budget.
- Supervise and manage the OTL staff, including hiring, training, and evaluating employee job performance.
- Report to the provost and serve on a University-wide associate provost group that includes associate provosts for planning, budget and analysis; undergraduate academic programs; graduate studies; research; student life; internationalization; and inclusive excellence.
- Ph.D. or terminal degree.
- Strong organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience teaching in higher education preferred.
- A deep understanding of faculty roles and responsibilities.
- Experience in faculty development, especially as it relates to support for effective integration of hybrid and online teaching and learning modalities.
- Experience with innovations in educational technology and effective teaching methods that improve the quality of all types of instructional approaches, including face-to-face, online, hybrid/blended, and learning environments.
- Experience in managing and supervising staff and successfully managing complex projects.
- A demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of academic administration, students, staff, and faculty, using tact and diplomacy.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to cultivate respect and good working relationships with faculty members.
- Ability to use both qualitative and quantitative data to improve teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Extensive knowledge of theories, best practice, and research related to higher education teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Ability to integrate evidence-based approaches that engage students and improve student learning.
- High level of understanding of, and experience with, educational technologies used for innovative and effective teaching.
- Ability to design, implement, and evaluate innovative programs and services for faculty development.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse populations and commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for a variety of constituencies.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills.
Instructions for Candidates:
Applications should include a CV, cover letter, and a statement (not to exceed two pages) that will inform the search committee of the applicants vision for leadership in teaching and learning in higher education for the next five years. Applicants should also include the names and contact information for 3 references. Applications must be submitted online through www.dujobs.org, once within the job description online, please click "New Resume/CV" at the bottom of the page to begin an application.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Jennifer Karas, chair of the search committee for the Associate Provost for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning, email@example.com.
If a current DU faculty member is chosen for this position, this individual will have the opportunity to retain his or her current series, rank, and tenure status.
Depending on the background of the candidate, the opportunity for a one-year appointment as a faculty member, renewable annually, at the rank of Clinical Assistant, Associate, or full Professor may be possible. With the faculty appointment the primary affiliation for employment status and benefits will be as a faculty, not staff, member.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://du-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=255&company_id=16973&jobboardid=194