Library & Information Technology (LIT) - Technical Services and Systems Librarian
St. Lawrence University in New York
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2014|
St. Lawrence University seeks an innovative and knowledgeable colleague to join a collaborative and dynamic Library & Information Technology (LIT) division as Technical Services and Systems Librarian. Reporting to the Director of Libraries, this librarian will provide leadership for planning, managing, evaluating, and supporting a range of library technical and systems services and operations.
The successful candidate will work well in a collegial and team environment, will possess strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, and will have an understanding of the important and evolving role library technical services and systems play in supporting, expanding, and improving access to scholarly resources. Major areas of focus for this position include managing the integrated library system, overseeing and coordinating technical services operations, keeping current with and exploring technologies which especially impact library technical services and systems, supporting resource description and access activities (cataloging) of staff in a number of library departments, and collaborating with colleagues and staff on Library, LIT, and University committees and working groups. As a member of the library faculty, this librarian will participate in collection development and have the opportunity to participate in research consultations, bibliographic instruction, and digitization projects.
The Libraries at St. Lawrence support physical and virtual presences, strive to maintain a high level of resourcefulness, responsiveness, and reliability with regard to the academic needs of students and faculty, and proactively seek to engage with students and faculty on existing and emerging educational, learning, and research technologies and initiatives.
Required Qualifications: The successful candidate for this 12 month, full-time position must have an ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent.
- Significant, demonstrated experience with managing an ILS and technical services.
- Experience with resource description and access (cataloging) codes and practices.
- Staff supervisory experience (library assistants and student workers).
- Experience with training and staff development initiatives.
- Experience (2 or more years) with the Innovative Interfaces, Inc. ILS (Millennium or Sierra).
- Experience working with other applications, systems, and tools, for example, MarcEdit, Illiad, OCLC Services, Ebscohost, or Serials Solutions (ProQuest).
- Familiarity with trends in scholarly communication.
- Public services experience in a liberal arts college library.
- Advanced degree in a subject area.
The anticipated start date is August 1, 2014. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, along with the names and contact information of three references to: Search Committee, Owen D. Young Library, St. Lawrence University, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY 13617 or send via email to email@example.com (preferred).
Located in Canton, N.Y., St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global. The University seeks diversity among its faculty, staff and students, with a commitment to fostering excellence through an atmosphere intellectually and socially enriching for the entire community. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged. For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit SLUs homepage at http://www.stlawu.edu.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
SLU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.