Hazardous Material Technician
Drexel University in Pennsylvania
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 16, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Drexel is ranked one of the best national universities in the category of Best National Universities in Americas Best Colleges for 2012 by U.S. News & World Report for the eighth consecutive year and in the top 100 for the fourth straight time. Drexel also ranked sixth among national universities in the U.S. News list of "Up-and-Comers," those schools most often cited by university administrators nationwide as making "the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus, or facilities."
With more than 8,200 employees and over 23,500 students, Drexel is the fifth largest private-sector employer in Philadelphia and has a vibrant community of students, faculty and professional staff, and encourages the richness diversity brings to the workplace. Like its students, Drexel's employees are known for being passionate, entrepreneurial and innovative.
Position Title: Hazardous Material Technician
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the Hazardous Material Technician will be responsible for managing the University's hazardous waste and hazardous materials management programs.
-B.S. in Chemistry or other science field with at least 1 year experience in a hazardous waste management or other EHS field. -Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), preferred but not required. -40 hr HAZWOPER Certification, preferred but not required. -Familiarity with hazardous material management requirements, including federal, state, and local laws. -Knowledge of equipment, technologies, and systems utilized in hazardous material management. -Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. -Proficient with standard office software. -Valid PA and/or NJ driver's license.
1. Following established technical and safety guidelines, collect and transport hazardous materials and/or waste from individual generation sites (e.g. laboratories; workshops; mechanical rooms; etc.); ensure accuracy and quality assurance; proper packaging, marking and compatibility; complete associated paperwork and data entry for record keeping; manage required supplies and equipment. Process hazardous materials or waste from generation sites; verify contents, sort, weigh, label and store according to compatibility and hazard class; package and prepare materials for shipping per Department of Transportation requirements. Coordinate disposal of hazardous waste with University vendors.
2. Maintain an inventory of hazardous waste generated by location on a monthly basis. Develop and implement mass flow analysis or assessments and waste minimization plans for various University generators and/or satellite accumulation areas.
3. Interface with supervisors and managers to resolve hazardous material issues and discrepancies; Conduct routine environmental assessments and audits to ensure compliance with the University's hazardous material management programs
4. Provide emergency response to hazardous material releases; Implement and manage the University's Hazardous Material Emergency Response Plan. Provide technical advice on hazardous materials to other University entities as needed.
5. Maintain the Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) database for all hazardous materials at the University. Maintain a database of SARA Title III listed materials. File and complete Tier II forms, Biennial reports and if needed off site plans that may be required by the local LEPC.
6. Maintain and if necessary develop and implement programs to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local regulations as well as University policies that pertain to the possession, storage or disposal of hazardous materials / waste.
7. Use written and verbal communication skills to communicate with internal and external stakeholders and interact as needed with regulatory agencies.
Drexel University's mission is to serve students and society through comprehensive integrated academic offerings enhanced by technology, co-operative education, and clinical practice in an urban setting, with global outreach embracing research, scholarly activities, and community initiatives.
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is proactively committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its policies, practices and services. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=78318 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Hazardous Material Technician. The requisition number is 5978.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.