MIT Lincoln Laboratory in Massachusetts
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 15, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
MIT Lincoln Laboratory, headquartered in Lexington, MA, is a U.S. Department of Defense research and development center chartered to apply advanced technology to problems of national security. We undertake projects in fields as diverse as cyber security, information sciences, communication systems, air and missile defense, space surveillance technology, tactical systems, biological and chemical defense, and homeland protection. Research and development activities focus on long-term technology development as well as rapid system prototyping and demonstration, facilitated by state-of-the-art facilities on our campus including a Microelectronics Lab, Airborne Test Bed Facility, Environmental Test Laboratory, Machine Shop, and more.
Under the direction of the Operations & Maintenace (O&M) Manager and General Supervisor, individual will supervise a trade shop consisting of 34 personnel. These trades people are licensed refrigeration mechanics, sheet metal workers, plumbers, pipe fitters, and chilled water plant operators who work on various systems. These systems include HVAC, exhaust, plumbing compressed air, chilled water, potable water, steam and process piping systems, etc. Duties will include but not be limited to the following: providing technical assistance to the trades people, estimate labor and material for jobs, research and ordering of material, investigate system problems and initiate corrective action, establish work schedules, assisting and coordinating work with various customers. Required to enter and approve time cards, conduct employee performance evaluations and provide counseling and coaching as may be required. Provide management oversight to employees to ensure compliance with group and Lab guidelines, ensure trades are following proper safety procedures and provide training as required etc. The Mechanical Services Shop is a 7 day 24 hour operation requiring the supervisors to be on call for all emergencies during these hours. The Mechanical Shop Supervisor will work with the O&M Maintenance Engineer to review and resolve technical problems as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or electrical engineering desirable.
- A minimum of ten years directly related experience with 5 years in a supervisory role; experience directing the inspection, testing, and repair of low voltage electronic, mechanical, and pneumatic devices and systems used to control HVAC/R equipment and building systems in commercial operations.
- Prior experience and oversight in the operation of steam heating systems, hydronic systems, air distribution systems, HVAC/R controls, gas and oil fired heating systems and boilers, water treatment, and refrigeration and humidification systems and comprehensive experience in the repair, replacement and adjustment of their components required.
- Experience using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) preferably SAP is a plus. Familiarity with Andover Controls; Knowledge of various OSHA regulations such as: LO/TO, confined space, fall protection, PPE, etc.
- Experience managing skilled tradesmen in a union environment is desirable.
- Must be available to respond to Lab emergencies and provide standby supervisory coverage on an as-needed basis.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance required.
For more information on the Mechanical Supervisor position (#5045), and to apply, click here:
To learn more about MIT Lincoln Laboratory and our many other opportunities, please visit our website at www.ll.mit.edu.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to realizing our vision of inclusion in every aspect of our enterprise. Due to the unique nature of our work, we require U.S. citizenship.