Assistant Director for Digitization, Cataloging & Metadata Education
University of Minnesota Libraries -- Twin Cities in Minnesota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 7, 2014|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Minitex is a publicly supported network of academic, public, school and special libraries in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota that work cooperatively to enhance the libraries services to their patron communities. Minitex's suite of services promote effective delivery of needed information, partnerships, and sharing library resources including collections and electronic resources, bibliographic records, and reference services. Minitex pursues technological innovations to provide new opportunities for delivery of services. A joint program of the Office of Higher Education and the University of Minnesota, Minitex operates as a division of the University Libraries, based at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.
Position Summary: This position functions as Minitex Assistant Director, reporting to the Minitex Director. The position manages the Digitization, Cataloging & Metadata Education (DCME) unit, which also includes the Minitex Contract Cataloging Program; the Minnesota Digital Library (MDL); coordinates the partnership with OCLC for training, promotion and communication with libraries in MN, ND and SD and nationally; facilitates opportunities for library staff to meet their continuing education and professional development needs, and is responsible for training. The position supervises 6 full time librarians, and a number of hourly employees for contract cataloging and grant administration.
Management and Supervision (45%)
- Coordinate overall operational activities of DCME, Contract Cataloging, evaluating needs and processes, addressing staffing requirements, and the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Supervise Unit staff work assignments and loads and workflow throughout the unit.
- Manage the Minitex cost-recovery Contract Cataloging Program and its pool catalogers, including marketing, preparation of bids for potential clients, tracking of projects and client communication.
- Coordinate development and delivery of in-person and online courses and presentations to expand the OCLC and Minitex cataloging and metadata instruction program.
- Coordinate Minitexs Certified Training Partner collaboration with OCLC, a national library cooperative.
- Assume lead role in planning, implementing and managing complex projects and events.
- Develop, coordinate, and provide instructional programming, presentations and support in the areas of cataloging, metadata, technical services, digitization, and digital preservation.
Minnesota Digital Library (MDL) (30%)
MDL is Minnesotas premier digital library with over 150 contributing organizations and over 180,000 digital objects representing our states history and culture.
- Serve on the MDL Governance Committee in ex officio status.
- Responsible for managing of MDL including oversight of special projects and grants.
- Coordinate MDL operational teams.
- Work closely with the MN History Coalition and other entities involved in supporting the continuation of our allocation of Cultural Heritage Legacy funds.
- Serve as liaison with MDL collaborators, including the MN Historical Society, University of MN Libraries, and others.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of issues pertaining to imaging, digitization, metadata creation, and digital preservation.
Organizational and Leadership Responsibilities (25%)
- Represent Minitex on committees and in meetings of other regional library-related organizations.
- Present at conferences, write articles as appropriate.
- Evidence an expert level of knowledge on a range of library issues and processes in order to support, consult with and provide leadership to participating libraries. Provide workflow analysis and other consulting services to participating libraries, upon request.
- Develop, maintain and promote services, instruction and resources that will benefit staff of libraries in MN, ND and SD.
- ALA-accredited master's degree in library science or foreign equivalent completed at the time of application or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
- Minimum 8 years recent professional library experience in cataloging, managing technical services, digitization services, or comparable environment.
- Demonstrated organizational and project planning skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects; ability to work independently and collaboratively in a complex, changing environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse clientele.
- Strong commitment to excellence in service; up-to-date knowledge of current practices in the areas of technical services, bibliographic control, and digitization; and the ability to travel.
- Successful experience in managing technical services or cataloging operations and experience with digitization projects.
- Library consortium experience.
- Receiving and managing grants.
- Experience in working with metadata.
- Experience with online and/or classroom training.
The University of Minnesota is located in the center of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The Twin Cities are known for their vibrant cultural programming through numerous arts venues, extensive park and recreational systems, and an engaged and diverse community (http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/)
SALARY AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time, 12-month, annual renew, academic professional position as a Library/Museum Director 1. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and substantial moving allowance.
TO APPLY: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Submit a letter of application addressing all required qualifications and any applicable preferred qualifications; a resume; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current references at https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=119053 . Please identify the cover letter with UL309. Offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=119053