Dean of Libraries
North Dakota State University in North Dakota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 7, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
North Dakota State University invites applications and nominations for the position of DEAN OF LIBRARIES. Review of candidate materials will begin April 29, 2014. It is anticipated that the new DEAN OF LIBRARIES will begin service this summer.
The North Dakota State University Libraries comprise the Main Library, four branch libraries (Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Chemistry, Health Sciences, and Business), NDSU Archives, NDSU Institutional Repository and an off-campus storage site. The NDSU Libraries hold over 865,000 physical items among the collections, and subscribes/has access to approximately 400 electronic databases and collections with full-text access to over 200,000 journals and e-books. NDSU is part of the Tri-College University (Concordia College, Minnesota State University-Moorhead, and NDSU), ODIN, and Minitex consortia. The NDSU Libraries is also part of the North Dakota Joint Regional Depository, and is an early adopter of the Alma library management system from Ex Libris. The library has a budget of about $5.5 million, and comprises staff totaling 41 FTE.
The Dean of Libraries will be a dynamic and innovative leader who understands the role of academic libraries in a research university and has a vision for the library's role in the growth of the University. The Dean will provide leadership in the management of the NDSU libraries, including personnel management, oversight of programs and services, preparation and execution of the budget, increasing federal, state, and private support for the Libraries, and advocating for the Libraries regionally and nationally. The Dean will work closely with faculty and administration in planning and will provide leadership for the achievement of the goals of the Libraries, consistent with the Universitys mission. The Dean will report directly to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- MLS/ MLIS degree (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program;
- Minimum of five years professional experience in an academic setting or college/ university library;
- Demonstrated record of leadership and management experience, including budgeting and personnel;
- Broad knowledge/understanding of library information systems;
- Broad knowledge/understanding of current and emerging technologies;
- Ability to provide vision and goals for the library;
- Demonstrated excellence in communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interact at all levels in an academic setting and advocate effectively for the library with a variety of on-and off-campus constituencies;
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strong collaborative working environment with professional colleagues.
- Ability to work and interact effectively with a diversity of colleagues and students.
- A second Master's or Doctoral degree in a related field;
- Evidence of scholarly research and publications;
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- Proven fundraising and grant-writing experience.
Screening will begin April 29, 2014. Applications should include a letter addressing the advertised qualifications; curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, email and telephone numbers of three professional references. Application materials should be submitted electronically (MS Word or PDF) by April 29, 2014 at https://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/4753
Please contact NDSU Office of Equity, Diversity, and Global Outreach by e-mail at NDSU.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (701-231-7159) with questions regarding the online application process.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Women & traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/4753