Associate Director of Business Operations
|Deadline||April 20, 2014|
|Date Posted||April 2, 2014|
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is now hiring an Associate Director of Business Operations. This position is located on campus at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado.
CEMML was established in 1992 with the goal of making the latest and most appropriate science available for the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense and other public lands. We are a nonprofit service, outreach, and applied research unit within the CSU Warner College of Natural Resources, and provide services to our Sponsors through the combined efforts of on-campus staff and our employees located at federal work sites around the U.S. and internationally.
CEMML needs an effective business leader who understands and can act to fulfill the fiscal and operational requirements of a 400+ employee, $35M+/year organization functioning within the structure and process of a large research university. The Associate Director of Business Operations is a member of the CEMML Executive Committee, with responsibility for contributing to policy decisions, providing recommendations for fulfilling strategic and operational goals based on financial analysis and projections, overseeing long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the CEMML strategic plan, and acting to fulfill those aspects of strategic and operational goals that are pertinent to the activities of the business office. Specific responsibilities include:
- Leading the activities of the CEMML business office of 8+ staff; setting and exemplifying a high standard for professionalism, respect for coworkers, work quality, and timely execution of tasks.
- Creating, evaluating, revising, and executing business processes within the CEMML business office to fulfill commitments to the University, Warner College of Natural Resources, and Sponsors.
- Maintaining oversight of all activities of the CEMML business office, including management of accounts and procurement of equipment, supplies and services required to fulfill CEMML operational needs and contractual obligations.
- Performing as CEMMLs lead for all accounting and account management issues, including development and monitoring of CEMMLs annual operating budget of ~$1.5M per year.
- Determining labor requirements, assigning workload, developing staff capabilities, and increasing and decreasing staffing levels as required to fulfill all pre- and post-award administrative functions.
- Supervising the CEMML Financial Coordinator and Pre-Award Research Administrator to accomplish the purposes of the business office.
- Reporting to and establishing a strong, collaborative working relationship with the CEMML Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
CEMML is seeking a seasoned leader with at least 7 years of financial and operations experience relevant to the needs of an organization primarily funded by federal grants and functioning within the business processes and requirements of a much larger entity. The successful candidate will also possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in an appropriate business-related discipline (Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Management, etc.). A Masters of Business Administration or comparable Masters degree is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing expectations, resolving conflict, evaluating performance, rewarding success, and maintaining accountability among business operations staff, including a commitment to crafting an effective and professionally fulfilled team.
- A collaborative and flexible management style with a strong orientation toward customer service.
- The ability to effectively communicate with CEMML, WCNR, and CSU business operations staff and CEMML technical staff to ensure that financial and operational concepts and issues are communicated to all members of the CEMML leadership team and project managers.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, customer service-oriented environment whose focus and operating tempo is sometimes distinctly different from that of the larger organization within which we function.
- Strong analytical skills and experience in adapting business processes to meet changing organizational strategic and operational priorities.
- Experience in administration of pre- and post-award aspects of federal grants and contracts, including familiarity with OMB Circulars A-21, A-110, and A-133, is desirable but not required.
- Demonstrated U.S. employment eligibility; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all candidates selected for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, but we are seeking applicants with credentials appropriate to a salary range of $85,000 - $100,000. Colorado State University offers a generous benefits package including 24 days of paid annual leave, tuition credits, excellent health insurance (including vision and dental), and retirement plans with 9% matching. For more information on Administrative Professional benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/.
Prospective candidates should apply online at https://warnercnr.colostate.edu/jobs/. Apply no later than April 20, 2014, for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
A complete application will include:
1) Statement of Qualifications
3) Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded)
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce, and complies with all federal and Colorado state laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Centers commitment to diversity and inclusion.
POSITION #: ADBO CSU 4 13 14
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://warnercnr.colostate.edu/jobs/