Associate Vice President & Comptroller
Drexel University in Pennsylvania
|Date Posted||March 27, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Drexel is ranked one of the best national universities in the category of Best National Universities in Americas Best Colleges for 2012 by U.S. News & World Report for the eighth consecutive year and in the top 100 for the fourth straight time. Drexel also ranked sixth among national universities in the U.S. News list of "Up-and-Comers," those schools most often cited by university administrators nationwide as making "the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus, or facilities."
With more than 8,200 employees and over 23,500 students, Drexel is the fifth largest private-sector employer in Philadelphia and has a vibrant community of students, faculty and professional staff, and encourages the richness diversity brings to the workplace. Like its students, Drexel's employees are known for being passionate, entrepreneurial and innovative.
Job Overview: The Associate Vice President & Comptroller reports to the Vice President for Finance & Associate Treasurer and serves as the chief accounting officer for the University, responsible for the leadership and management oversight for the following business office operations: accounting and payroll. In addition, the Comptroller assists the Vice President for Finance & Associate Treasurer in maintaining, developing and implementing sound institutional fiscal policies. The Associate Vice President & Comptroller oversees, directs and maintains the University's financial accounting systems and provides leadership for the coordination and integration of the financial requirements with computerized applications for gift and endowment accounting, purchasing, student billing and human resources as well as the consolidation and financial oversight of the accounting systems, records and financial reports for the University. The Associate Vice President & Comptroller offers effective, customer-friendly financial services to students, faculty and staff. Requires Bachelors degree in Accounting or similar discipline, a CPA and seven to ten years related experience.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting and payroll functions
- Experience in a University setting preferred
- Experience with Banner and Hyperion, or similar database, accounting and reporting software
- Supervisory and management skills
- Interpersonal/human relations skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assess current procedures for process and efficiency improvements
- Ability to work in a complex organizational environment
- Ability to organize, establish objectives and priorities and meet quantifiable goals
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Provide overall direction for General Accounting and Payroll staff, servicing students, faculty and staff at Drexel University, including the Drexel University College of Medicine, and all subsidiaries.
- Oversee the University's financial reporting systems; maintain accurate and detailed financial records, including, review of journal entries.
- Plan for and oversee the integration and compliance with all new accounting pronouncements as they become effective, and ensure accounting transactions are properly updated. Prepare the University for the Implementation of any new accounting guidance.
- Oversee the compiling of and review of monthly and annual internal financial reports for Drexel University and the Drexel University College of Medicine and quarterly consolidated reports reflecting budget performance in accordance with Generally Accepted Financial Principles. Provide input and support in preparing financial forecast and long range planning.
- Coordinate and manage the separate annual financial audits for Drexel University, including the Drexel University College of Medicine, and all of its subsidiaries which includes API, ANS and DeL. Respond to annual management reports. Oversee and coordinate between the external audit team and those responsible for the annual A-133 report for research grants, NCAA (athletic) report and bureau of census filings. Support Tax Office in completing the 990 accurately and timely.
- Provide financial oversight of all University subsidiaries and key University departments including the underlying financial records. Interface directly with the financial officer/controller of each subsidiary and conduct analytical reviews as appropriate.
- Manage change in processes, technology, policies and procedures through effective communication and training both internally within the Comptroller's area as well as externally with Financial Officers and other constituents within the University.
Supplementary Posting Information:
Drexel University's mission is to serve students and society through comprehensive integrated academic offerings enhanced by technology, co-operative education, and clinical practice in an urban setting, with global outreach embracing research, scholarly activities, and community initiatives.
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is proactively committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its policies, practices and services. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: https://www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=78343 or visit https://www.drexeljobs.com and search for Associate Vice President & Comptroller. The requisition number is 5994.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit https://www.drexel.edu
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=78343