Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services,Sr. Assistant Librarian - 12 month
California State University, Fresno in California
|Deadline||April 20, 2014|
|Date Posted||March 19, 2014|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
California State University, Fresno
Vacancy # 12204
Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services
Sr. Assistant Librarian - 12 month
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University, we focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all.
• Available for Academic Year: 2014/2015.
• Fresno State has been recognized as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
• Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process.
• Salary placement depends upon academic preparation and professional experience.
• Instructional Level: Undergraduate and Graduate
• Overview: The Digital Services Division in the Henry Madden Library was established as part of a reorganization of the Library in 2012 and includes the Metadata and Resource Description, Electronic Resources, Digitization, and Information Technology units. The Library, staffed by over 72 professionals and paraprofessionals, contains over 1.4 million print volumes, has digitized over 80,000 items that are presented in its local ContentDM repository, subscribes to over 260 databases and electronic resource packages, and has established a nascent institutional repository (IR) to preserve the intellectual and cultural output of the University. The Library obtains, organizes, makes discoverable and available, and preserves materials of all types to serve the teaching, research, and public engagement missions of the University. The Library includes separate Music & Media, Teaching Curriculum, Map, Government Document, and Childrens¿ Literature collections, all of which actively collect materials, as well as a Special Collections Research Center which also includes the University Archives.
Position Characteristics: The Digital Services Division of the Henry Madden Library at California State University, Fresno is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure-track position for a Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services to manage the Metadata and Resource Description Unit, overseeing the cataloging and metadata creation of all formats, including physical and digital resources. In addition, library faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and service to the University and the profession. This position will provide an excellent opportunity to explore a variety of directions for professional growth and development. Responsibilities include: Providing leadership, management, supervision, and planning for the Metadata and Resource Description Unit, overseeing a staff of one librarian and three library support specialists. Cataloging includes original and copy cataloging of all formats, including print and special formats, authority control, database maintenance, and special projects. Includes all aspects of developing the institutional repository (IR) metadata creation and ingest procedures. Establish policies; develop procedures; set goals; design and monitor workflow; adopt and implement new technologies; supervise, train, and evaluate staff; serve as a member of the Library Council; participate in faculty governance, administrative committees, and special library projects and campus committees.
Academic Preparation: An MLS from an ALA accredited library school or equivalent is required for appointment to a tenure-track position. Candidates nearing completion of the MLS (or equivalent) may be considered, however, for continued employment in a tenure-track position the degree must be completed by 7/30/2014.
Teaching Or Other Experience: * Required Experience: Progressively responsible experience in cataloging and/or metadata creation using an integrated library system; experience with a bibliographic utility (such as OCLC); supervisory experience; knowledge of institutional repository mechanics, architecture, and metadata creation; knowledge of current cataloguing standards; awareness of emerging trends and technologies in resource description; demonstrated leadership, creativity, and initiative in analyzing and resolving problems and implementing change; demonstrated ability to assess unit effectiveness; demonstrated flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment; demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others. * Preferred Qualifications: Record of innovation in digital assets management in academic libraries. Background and progressively responsible experience in cataloging and metadata creation in an academic or research library. Demonstrated background and progressively responsible experience in institutional repository architecture and metadata creation. Supervisory experience in a library or library-related institution.
Other Requirements: Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States. The Annual Safety and Security/Fire Safety Report provided in compliance with the 1998 Jeanne Clery Disclosure Act, and California Education Code section 67380. The report includes three calendar years of select campus crime statistics and it includes security policies and procedures for the campus. Applicants, students, and employees can obtain a copy of this report from the web site: www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml or by contacting the Campus Police Department. The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
Equal Employment Opportunity: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin.
Application Instructions: To ensure the full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by April 20, 2014. Complete an on-line application at http://jobs.csufresno.edu and attach the following materials: (1) a cover letter addressing qualifications and experience and (2) a curriculum vitae. Finalists will be required to submit a minimum of three current letters of recommendation and official transcripts to the search committee. For inquiries contact: Patrick Newell, Search Committee Chair; Henry Madden Library, CSU Fresno; 5200 N. Barton Avenue, MS ML/34; Fresno, CA 93740; Phone 559.278.5182; E-mail: email@example.com.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires the University to inform you that we can employ only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Each new employee is required to present documentation verifying his/her identity and authorization to accept employment.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/447059