Associate General Counsel, Research and Compliance
|Date Posted||March 4, 2014|
The Associate General Counsel, Research and Compliance reports to the Tulane University General Counsel and provides legal counsel and advice to the University, with particular focus on the Tulane School of Medicine, the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, and the Tulane University Faculty Practice Plan.He/she will offer legal guidance on sponsored research agreements including basic science contracts and grants, confidentiality agreements, clinical trial agreements, subcontracts and federal grants and other research management issues including policy development.The Associate General Counsel, Research and Compliance serves as the legal adviser to Tulanes Institutional Review Board (IRB) concerning human subject research, Tulanes Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) concerning the use of animals in research and the Institutional Biosafety Committee.He/she will also provide legal counsel and advice to the university regarding complex research and federal regulatory issues and ensure compliance with all federal regulations relating to conflicts of interest in research.
The position requires a collaborative, detail-oriented and deadline driven person with excellent written, analytical and verbal communication skills, as well as relevant and deep legal knowledge and experience. He/she serves as a trusted legal advisor to the General Counsel, staff, physicians and faculty.He/she will proactively identify and mitigate legal risk to protect the organization from undue legal exposure, liability and financial loss, all the while counseling and working to facilitate the achievement of strategic and operational objectives. It will be critical for the Associate General Counsel to have academic medical center experience and the ability to provide sound and practical legal advice in order to gain credibility and respect quickly from colleagues throughout the Tulane Medical Center.
- Sponsored Research He/she will provide legal advice and counsel to the Office of Sponsored Research Administration regarding research agreements including basic science contracts and grants, confidentiality agreements, clinical trial agreements, subcontracts and federal grants and other research management issues including policy development.
- Research Regulatory Compliance He/she serves as the legal adviser to Tulanes IRB concerning human subject research, Tulanes IACUC concerning the use of animals in research and the Institutional Biosafety Committee. He/she will assist the university Research Compliance Officer on research noncompliance matters. He/she will advise the IRB concerning compliance with AAHRP accreditation requirements. He/she advises regarding state and federal regulatory compliance including effort reporting, export controls and grants compliance. The Associate General Counsel, Research and Compliance will also provide legal advice and counsel on issues involving third-party access to research data and serves as a legal adviser to the universitys Office of Privacy and Contracting.
- Conflict of Interest He/she provides legal counsel and advice to Tulane regarding complex research and federal regulatory issues and ensures compliance with all federal regulations relating to conflicts of interest in research. He/she serves as legal counsel and a resource for the universitys Conflict of Interest Committees and provides legal advice and counsel to the Conflicts of Interest administrator regarding the review of employee disclosures and preparation of materials for the universitys Conflict of Interest Committees.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Prior experience as a senior level attorney for an academic medical center, hospital and/or medical school or relevant in-house or law firm experience.
- Current license to practice law in Louisiana or eligibility for admission in Louisiana within first year of employment. Licensure as in-house attorney in the State of Louisiana is required during this one year period.
- Licensed in good standing without any instances of suspension, revocation, censure or other adverse events in any jurisdiction.
- Minimum five years of sponsored research, research regulatory compliance and conflicts of interest experience.
- Excellent written communication skills; strong verbal and written communication skills in presenting complex legal principles in laymen terms to senior administrators, physicians and faculty.
- Executive presence and strong interpersonal skills and experience interfacing with a wide variety of key stakeholders; a strong collaborator and team oriented.
- Strong work ethic with a can do attitude. Self-starter, quick study and ability to manage deadlines.
- Familiarity and experience with the business operations of academic medical centers.
- High moral and ethical standards that reflect honesty, integrity and reliability.
Interested candidates should forward a resume to TulaneAGCResearch@divsearch.com
Contact Us: TulaneAGCResearch@divsearch.com
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to TulaneAGCResearch@divsearch.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.