Chair of Clinical Sciences
|Deadline||May 04, 2014|
|Date Posted||February 21, 2014|
The Georgia Regents University/University of Georgia Medical Partnership is conducting a search for the Chair of Clinical Sciences.
The Chair of Clinical Sciences is responsible for the continuing development and maintenance of all the clinical sites for the clinical education of the medical students on the Medical Partnership campus. This unique individual relates to multiple hospitals and medical practices throughout Northeast Georgia and collaborates effectively with the Chairs of the clinical departments at the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) at Georgia Regents University in Augusta and the clinical campus deans in Albany, Savannah, and Rome to assure excellence and parity in clinical education for all MCG medical students. Additionally, the Chair supervises the site-clerkship directors and the administrative staff responsible for the coordination of the clinical rotations. The Chair will support colleagues at both MCG at Georgia Regents University in Augusta and the University of Georgia in the development of clinical services and clinical research. The Chair of Clinical Sciences is a member of the Senior Leadership team of the Medical Partnership and reports to the Campus Dean of the Medical Partnership. In addition, the Chair will work closely and collaboratively with the Department Chairs and Leadership at MCG in Augusta and the Leadership including appropriate Heads and Deans at UGA. These secondary relationships with MCG and UGA create a matrix for collaboration and assure that the medical students on the Partnership Campus are afforded the same support systems and opportunities as the medical students on the Augusta Campus in keeping with the requirements of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education MCG accreditation.
- Liaison with the Clinical Departments in the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University in Augusta.
- Responsible for Clinical Faculty appointments for faculty in Northeast Georgia and ongoing required preceptor development.
- Recruits, develops, and maintains all sites for clinical education in Northeast Georgia.
- Works collaboratively with the Foothills Area Health Education Center to facilitate clinical education in Northeast Georgia.
- Supervises the site-clerkship directors and coordinating administrative staff.
- Operates the clinical rotation selection process for third and fourth year students on the Medical Partnership Campus.
- Works with the Campus Associate Dean for Curriculum and Campus Assistant Deans to implement innovative core education throughout the third and fourth year.
- Career advising for clinical students.
- Oversees Visiting Student Application Service for Medical Partnership students and for visiting students wishing to take an elective rotation in Athens.
- Liaison with affiliated hospitals' leadership for all medical student issues.
- Works with the Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum to organize July orientation to the clinical clerkships.
- Portal to support services for students experiencing professional, psychological, and/or academic concerns on the clinical rotations.
- Liaison to the Mercy Clinic leadership for the student/faculty practice.
- Collaborates with both institutions to secure practice opportunities for the academic faculty.
Minimum qualifications: Doctorate degree (MD or DO), ABMS certification in area of chosen specialty, and 5 years of experience in medical student or resident education and/or educational administration. Preferable: Demonstrate experience in working with clinical educators from specialties other than the candidate's area of specialty. Experience in student, resident, or faculty affairs in an LCME institution and previous experience in community hospital settings.
To receive full consideration, applications should be submitted prior to May 4, 2014; however, the position will remain open until filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicants credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current curriculum vitae; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
Email submissions with attachments are preferred. Please send to: email@example.com
In lieu of email submission, written application materials can be directed to:
UGA Search Group
University of Georgia, Human Resources
Search Committee: Chair of Clinical Sciences
215 S. Jackson Street
Athens, GA 30602
Confidential requests for information should be directed to the primary Executive Search Consultant, Traci Strickland, of the UGA Search Group, 706-542-6240.
Georgia Regents University and The University of Georgia are Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Institutions