|Date Posted||February 14, 2014|
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor’s degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Associate Director of Corporate Relations.
The McCormick Office of Corporate Relations (MOCR) engages with technology-intensive corporations to develop and manage collaborative research and education partnerships, which benefit the educational and research mission of the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science at Northwestern. The Senior Associate Director provides intellectual, technical and strategic leadership in developing, managing and enhancing research agreements; fosters a collaborative spirit both internally and externally, and contributes to achieving the objectives of MOCR.
This critical role:
- Researches and identifies potential companies with business and technology interests which are synergistic with McCormick's mission, technological capabilities and expertise;
- Designs and conducts outreach programs to engage these companies and connect them with McCormick faculty;
- Develops benchmarks to assess impact;
- Develops meaningful working relationships with McCormick faculty, demonstrates working knowledge of their research discipline, and ability to translate and effectively communicate their work and potential application to target companies;
- Educates faculty and develops tools to assist them in obtaining and using corporate sponsorship;
- Works with corporate sponsors, faculty, administration, INVO, General Counsel, Feinberg Corporate Relations and OSR to expeditiously put in place win-win agreements for corporate-sponsored research;
- Serves as the NU business relationship manager for strategic research agreements and works with corporate sponsors, faculty, Research Administration, OSR and INVO to ensure the successful execution of the agreement;
- Meets periodically with corporate sponsors to assess their satisfaction and identify issues; Works with faculty and administration at NU to resolve issues to mutual satisfaction;
- Develops close working relationships and contacts with key corporations;
- Uses these to assist faculty in assembling industry support for government-sponsored research programs such as NSF Engineering Research Centers where industry support is crucial;
- Assists faculty in understanding IP and its relationship to the potential commercialization of inventions developed in corporate-sponsored research;
- Works with faculty, corporate sponsor and INVO to ensure smooth processing of any IP developed in corporate-sponsored research;
- Develops proficiency in all aspects of the corporate relations office to back-up the Director when s/he is not present;
- Works collaboratively with other McC/NU offices such as McC Research Administration, OSR, INVO and University Corporate Relations to promote and implement innovation and sponsored research at Northwestern;
- Identifies best practices and helps create policies and procedures to streamline effort and maximize efficiency across the University;
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- An advanced degree in engineering or science or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- A minimum of five years’ experience in both industry and universities in a technology management or business development / partnering role;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – both oral and written;
- Ability to understand technology in a wide range of fields and clearly describe its potential application.
- Successful experience in establishing and managing large, multi-million dollar, collaborative research relationships involving multiple parties ' ideally, between a university and companies.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 21797.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/xqr6r5x