Associate Dean for Finance and Administration
Columbia University, School of Continuing Education
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||February 13, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Associate Dean for Finance and Administration (AD) plays a pivotal role on the leadership team charged with creating, implementing, and managing a strategic vision for SCE that is driven by academic excellence, educational and technological innovation, and inspired by Columbias mission to internationalize its educational programming in an increasingly interconnected world. With the Senior Leadership Team, the AD shapes the vision for Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Space Expansion, Improvement, and Management and Information Infrastructure and ensures the integration and optimization of all processes and systems under this vision including policy development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of critical financial, operational, and student/client management measures. The Associate Dean is responsible for ensuring SCE achieves or exceeds financial targets, providing significant financial contribution to the University and Arts & Sciences through effective finance, administrative, and infrastructure management and efficient systems and processes throughout SCE. Additionally, the Associate Dean develops and maintains productive partnerships with program directors, faculty and external partners, and successful and satisfied clients and students.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Champions the creation of a culture that values and measures financial success
- Ensures SCE efficiently and effectively meets annual financial targets and reports in a timely, accurate fashion to University and Arts and Sciences leadership
- Optimizes the financial impact of SCEs program portfolios and leads financial analysis for operational activities and decision support (e.g. new program development, vendor selection)
- Maintains the 5-year strategic financial plan, providing visibility into the financial impact of SCEs evergreen 5-year strategic plan to both internal and external contingencies
- Creates an effective balance of administrative expertise and support and aggressively recruits talented individuals to new positions
- Working with the Dean and Senior Leadership Team, defines standards of excellence by which we evaluate and enhance the work of our faculty, administrators, and staff and implement performance review and development processes
- Regularly assesses and improves administrative systems, policies and processes to create and improve on our capacity to deliver on our promises
- Working collaboratively with department and program leadership, ensures efficient and effective systems and processes Balances the significant value associated with leveraging prospect, student, faculty, employee, program, and/or financial information throughout the School and managing the risk that accompanies it
- Centrally manages and supports the Schools information infrastructure, processes, and tools required to report on and analyze data for use in critical strategic and operational activities
- With the SCE Space Planning Leadership Team, formulates and implements long-range strategic space plan to create an innovative physical and technical infrastructure that enables short to long term growth and enhances dynamic collaboration, open communication, and leadership across all communities of learning and practice at SCE
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND/OR EXERCISED:
Directly supervises the Director of Accounting and Finance, Director of Administration and HR, Director of Information Systems. Oversees an area composed of approximately 8 additional full-time officers and 1 support staff, as well as work-study students and multiple seasonal casual personnel.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR BUDGET/ ASSETS:
Has responsibility for approximately $40 million in expenditures and $80 million in revenues (across more than 25 different programs).
Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Masters degree required.
Minimum of ten years of experience in higher education or related field designing and implementing effective client-centered, data-driven strategic operational strategies and tactics oriented toward enrollment and financial growth
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Demonstrated leadership experience in finance, IT, and/or HR in a higher education context
Experience leading and/or optimizing information management activities and extensive experience with database development/integration, analysis, and reporting
Familiarity with CRM design/implementation, new and emerging web technologies, as well as standard office applications including MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required
Strong project management, writing and editing, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills required
Demonstrated organizational and supervisory experience essential
Proven relationship development and management skills
MBA. Management consulting experience coupled with proven consultative approach to solving business problems and addressing new opportunities highly desirable. Experience and in-depth knowledge of SIS and SQL. Experience working in higher education.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=140347