Financial & Data Manager
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in California
|Date Posted||February 7, 2014|
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Financial & Data Manager
Regular / Temporary
CAED-College Arch & Env Design
College / Division
CAED-College Arch & Env Design
Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. Cal Poly offers excellent fringe benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System and educational benefits for eligible employees. All rights associated with the appointment are governed by the Management Personnel Plan adopted by the CSU Board of Trustees.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Under the general direction of the Dean of College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED), the Financial and Data Manager provides specialized managerial services related to resource management including providing leadership of a strategic nature through organizational unit planning activities, development, and evaluation of highly complex programs with broad impact.
The Financial and Data Manager works independently and is accountable for the accuracy and completion of complex assignments involving detailed financial and data analysis. This position will develop and track annual budgets, advise the dean on long-range fiscal planning, ensure that institutional data reported by the college are accurate and that data used by the college are interpreted consistently.
The position oversees the college's day-to-day operations with respect to budget, procurement, contracts and accounting. This includes preparing reports and ensuring that the college follows California State University (CSU), Cal Poly and CAED policies that guide resource management. The position also provides research and analysis of data in support of the college's self-assessment and strategic initiatives.
Responsibilities include oversight of sensitive or confidential matters and diplomatic communications with the college's internal and external stakeholders. The position works closely with the Personnel Specialist in the Dean's Office, tracking and coordinating personnel budget and expenditure. Additionally, the Financial and Data Manager may supervise staff and provide training for members of the college's administrative and leadership team.
Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field requiring extensive mathematical and analytical coursework. Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in financial management work or equivalent.
- Skills in operational and fiscal analysis, organization and planning.
- Ability to maintain high quality/standards of work, leadership, ethics, commitment, and professional responsibility and judgment. Ability to represent the college and its interest in a professional and conscientious manner.
- Thorough knowledge of administrative survey techniques, business process cycles, calendars and system processing needs including functions, input/output, dependencies, processing options, and timing considerations; methods and procedures for research and statistical analysis and the ability to apply them in order to meet programmatic or administrative goals.
- Expertise in and advanced knowledge of principles and best practices associated with public and business administration, fiscal management, record keeping, and budgeting in a complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to use appreciable judgment to interpret, apply, and develop policies and procedures.
Required Qualifications / Specialized Skills
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (continued):
- Thorough knowledge of administrative concepts, practices and procedures to research, develop and evaluate policies and programs, including collection, evaluation and interpretation of data and information from a wide variety of sources to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations. Ability to assess and formulate the impact of recommended or implemented policies from a strategic and operational perspective.
- Strong working knowledge of information systems, reporting software, and multiple complex database practices, including an understanding of system tables, data integrity management, and the working relationships/interfaces between those data bases.
- Expertise in investigating and analyzing problems from a broad and interactive perspective; using appreciable ingenuity and innovation to conceive of new approaches and strategic solutions to address complex problems and issues. Must be able to perform long periods of data entry when necessary.
- Strong ability to interpret, apply, work with, and explain to others a variety of complex academic policy and procedures (including pertinent laws and regulations) and understand the underlying intent when processing exceptions and/or requesting exceptions to be reviewed/approved; perform data management transactions with accuracy and efficiently, sound judgment and professional integrity.
- Ability to effectively lead projects, as well as teams, in understanding objectives, gathering requirements and issues, evaluating and arriving at solutions, completing tasks and action items, and meeting project deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be a self-motivated, highly productive, independent worker who is results and customer service oriented, with the ability to problem solve on a frequent basis. Exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to independently prioritize and coordinate multiple and shifting week objectives, transitioning from projects/assignments as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to update documentation of procedures; clearly and professionally respond to email; prepare and compose memorandums, official correspondence; demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively compile and maintain complex and extensive records, prepare reports and summaries, and effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format using consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email. Capacity to learn and adapt quickly to new technology, software, situations, methods and procedures; general interest in making full and efficient use of information technology and resources.
- Demonstrated consultative skills and ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to quickly learn university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Management and fiscal/budgetary experience in higher education settings.
- Knowledge of CSU budget structure and related policies, state statues, regulations, and codes.
- Experience in enrollment management issues and the evaluation of programs and institutional effectiveness.
- Experience managing databases including building, maintaining or querying large relational databases.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.
- This position classification has been defined as "Exempt" and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Background / Fingerprint
Review Begin Date
With approximately 1,600 students and 125 faculty and staff, Cal Poly's College of Architecture and Environmental Design is the largest of its type in the nation with seven degree programs in five closely related departments: Architectural Engineering, Architecture, City and Regional Planning, Construction Management, and Landscape Architecture. The dean's office includes two associate deans, a human resources specialist, an operations coordinator and this position, a financial and data manager. All of the dean's office staff work closely with the college's advancement office, advising center, instructional support staff and academic departments.
Founded in 1901, Cal Poly is one of only five comprehensive polytechnic universities in the nation, with approximately 19,000 undergraduate, 120 post-baccalaureate, and 900 graduate students. Operating on the quarter calendar system, Cal Poly takes pride in its "Learn by Doing" approach to higher education, which has characterized Cal Poly since its founding. One of the 23 campuses of the California State University system, Cal Poly has a statewide mandate as a polytechnic university. Situated on 1,321 acres, 155 of which make up the campus core, Cal Poly is one of the largest land-holding universities in the nation and uses all of its land holdings in active support of its educational programs.
Cal Poly is located in historic San Luis Obispo, a city of 44,000, 12 miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on California's scenic Central Coast. With excellent public education resources, recreational facilities and an expanding dedication to the arts, the area is known for its scenic landscapes and extraordinary temperate climate.
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/437062